Chapter 36 - Black Rose

Technoblade ventured back to the deep mines to battle the wither, a place he never thought he would revisit. Wither bosses were not difficult to kill. However, it becomes challenging to hunt them if they are not contained. Technoblade spent a long time harvesting the toughest block he could ever collect previously before his nether adventures. Today, they were finally coming in handy.

Apart from making nether portals, obsidian can be used to craft enchanting tables. However, there wasn't much use outside of those, and Technoblade did not need more portals or enchanting tables. Hence, he would use these blocks to build the wither killing cage.

Withers had three heads. That also meant they were unable to escape using regular doors. However, their powerful explosions can break through obsidian with enough attempts and Technoblade did not have infinite obsidian. He had to plan his strategy properly, ideally to kill the monster within two minutes.

Back in regular Minecraft, players often shot at the wither until it was down to the last half of its health to finish it with powerful melee attacks and potions. Technoblade already had the potions he needed and golden apples on standby. Aftercraft was a game with adjusted difficulty according to a player's strength. He had no idea what the system admin had planned for him. The wither might have five heads for all he knew.

Regardless of the difficulty level of this boss fight, there was one sure method of winning against the wither, even without overpowered weapons and armour. Technoblade made sure he had enough arrows and borrowed one of his pre-made strip mines. The key to victory was retreating endlessly until the wither died. The weak often found cunning ways to win battles, and Technoblade wasn't ashamed of burrowing to minimise damages and maximise attacks.

The tunnel he selected was the longest, with the most random strips turning into each other. Technoblade cleared an area and picked a spot where he would spawn the wither. Although he might not be able to trap the weather in obsidian for long, the time he could buy and avoid getting wither damage at the start will give Technoblade the advantage to shave off health from the boss.

Building the wither cage, Technoblade counted the ceiling height. The initial blast of the wither was the deadliest, and to avoid it, Technoblade tried to cushion it off with more stone bricks. They would be destroyed in the initial explosion, but it would protect the precious obsidian at the ceiling and sides. Technoblade also layered the floor with obsidian, and the spawning platform was complete in less than an hour.

"I'll fight the wither in perfect condition tomorrow," he told himself and decided to sleep the night off in a safety shelter he made hastily.

Technoblade had a hearty breakfast the next morning and laid the soul sand in a "T" shape formation. Spawning the wither in Aftercraft wasn't very different from spawning one in Minecraft. He placed two skulls and took a deep breath. This was it.

Plop!

The final skull sat in place, and suddenly the world shook. Technoblade quickly ran out of his wither cage and loaded his arrow. This was it.

The wither slowly came to life with an animation far scarier than watching zombies crawl out from the ground. The wither skulls merged together, and the soul sand floated. The new wither boss in Aftercraft resembled the hellhound Cerberus a little, and Technoblade swallowed.

The boss had all its heads floating and spinning around the animated soul sand body. The tail flicked, and Technoblade groaned as a powerful gust of wind threatened to blow him away. He was at least fifteen blocks away from the wither and readied his shield in case the blast radius was bigger than he thought it was.

Heads spun around the wither, and as the three heads finally hovered at their respective spots, pulsing in blue and grey particle charges, Technoblade trusted his instincts to duck into a nearby mining passage instead of holding his ground with a shield.