Chapter 11 - A Real Meal

Waking up to fresh air, morning sun and a hungry stomach was good.

Waking up to the sight of a furnace in the inventory was better.

"Finally!" Technoblade jumped and immediately hit his head on the overly short roof. "Breakfast!"

With the first furnace since his arrival in Aftercraft, Technoblade refused to fill his hunger bar with Juicy Berries. This was a call for celebration!

Although Juicy Berries were a good food source and easily renewable, they didn't satisfy Technoblade's palate. He liked savoury things from time to time. Sweet was alright in moderation, but he needed variety, and the solution was in his chest storage.

However, he needed to settle something real quick.

"Time for more deforestation," he wielded his stone axe. "I hope you guys are ready."

The trees swayed with the wind as if shaking from their roots to their branches. However, it did not stop Technoblade from expanding his area of destruction. If nature were his mother, she would have disowned him for his repeated crimes.

The stone axe did not have much durability after the night, so it shattered into oblivion after chopping down three spruce trees. Grunting in response, Technoblade checked the number of logs he had. It wasn't much, but it was enough for now.

According to the crafting workshop, he did not physically need to place the furnace down to smelt anything. He simply needed to have it in his inventory as a 'tool' for them to register the smelting function. The charcoal item was finally available for 'crafting', and Technoblade wasted no time. He decided to turn all the logs he collected into charcoal while he created a bigger hole in the side of the mountain for cobblestone to replace his broken tools.

The only limitation of a system-regulated smelting and crafting method was the time it took to complete the task. Sure, it was automated. However, it was still slow. Technoblade watched his hunger and thirst meter. They were not critically low even if he mined slowly. However, he had priorities. Even if he liked charcoal, he needed to make torches first and shift his ridiculous chest fort into a more secure location. He wanted to test if there was a way to prevent zombies from entering his lair tonight using trapdoors or fence gates.

When Technoblade received his first piece of charcoal, many new options became available in his recipe book. Many forms of cooked food, ingots from ores and even blocks became available.

This was the moment he had been waiting for!

Technoblade ordered for his first torches to be made using that single piece of charcoal. It wasn't much, but it was enough to light up the little mountain cavern. With this, he could finally tear down the monstrosity of planks and chest he created last night.

Technoblade worked to shift his base with his newly crafted tools to shift his base while cooking a few salmon pieces using the furnace. However, his expectations quickly turned into disappointment when the system turned his freshly caught salmon into burnt and overcooked salmon.

"Cancel! Cancel! I swear this smelter needs to be cancelled. Stop ruining my breakfast!"

Why was this so difficult? All Technoblade wanted was some real food for a real meal and a good breakfast to start the day right. His poor salmon!

Not one to waste food, Technoblade tried to consume the overcooked salmon that looked like a piece of dried bark in his hands. It did not look appetising, and the taste was just as bad as the visuals. To make matters worse, the salmon did not recover many hunger points. If anything, it drained his thirst meter.

"Do I really want to eat a burnt salmon?" he asked himself, holding up the charcoal black salmon.

After a long debate, Technoblade's curiosity won against him. He had enough Juicy Berries if something went wrong. However, he wanted to know if he could consume poorly cooked food and the consequences of doing so.