fourteen

I rub my eyes as I start to wake up, still lying on the sleeping bag on the cool ground. I look over to my right and see that Sapnap and George are still fast asleep, but when I look to my left I see that Dream is gone.

I stand up and roll up my sleeping bag along with Dream's and start walking back in the direction of the community house. Once I've returned the sleeping bags I start walking towards my house. While I'm passing where Sapnap's home used to be, I see Dream walking around in the rubble.

I walk over to him, confused, "What are you doing?" I call out. "Seeing if any of Sapnap's stuff survived the fire," he answers. "Any luck?" I ask, walking closer to him and stepping into the remnants of the house. "I found his sword, it needs to be repaired, but it's fine," he says, pointing to Sapnap's sword that is lying in the grass.

I nod, "Well, that's good at least, I'm sure he'll be pleased," I say. He shrugs.

I start walking around as well, looking for anything that might be salvageable. As I'm walking, I hear something crack under my foot. I step back and look down, it's a picture frame. I pick it up and brush the soot and broken glass away.

It's a picture of me, Sapnap, George, and Dream. Meredith took it last summer, we're all laughing and have our arms around each other. Meredith had told us to smile and Sapnap had said something stupid, I don't even remember what, causing us all to laugh hysterically as she took the photo.

I smile to myself at the memory, taking the picture out of the broken frame, it's charred around the edges, but you can still see the four of us clearly so I put it in my back pocket.

As I continue to search what I'm assuming is the remainder of Sapnap's bedroom, I find some of his jewelry, rings, and necklaces, and add them to the small pile of things Dream and I have recovered.

I sit down beside the pile, wiping sweat from my forehead, covering it in soot I'm sure. Dream walks over and throws a small dagger onto the pile, sitting down as well. "I think that's about all we're going to find," he says, looking at the belongings that survived the fire.

I sigh, "What are you going to do?" I ask him. "What do you mean?" he asks in response. I look at him, incredulously, "What do you mean, 'what do I mean'? What are you going to do about Ponk? There's no way it actually wasn't him," I say.

He shrugs, "He said he didn't do it, Venus, what am I supposed to do? We literally have no evidence it was him," he tells me. "So someone burnt down Sapnap's house and you're just not going to do anything about it? How do you think Sapnap is gonna react to that?" I ask.

"I mean I can hold a trial, but what evidence is Sapnap going to bring, is there really even a point?" he responds. I look down at the ground, thinking. He makes a good point, but we can't just ignore the fact that someone burnt down Sapnap's house and destroyed everything he owns.

"I'll keep asking around, I'll pressure Ponk, but as of right now there is nothing I can do," Dream says. I look back over at him, "Okay, well...just keep me posted," I say, standing up. "Where are you going?" he asks, watching me. "To wash up, not sure if you're aware but I just spent an entire night outside," I say jokingly. He smiles.

"See you later V," he says. "Bye Dream," I bid farewell, walking back towards my house.

After I shower and change, I set out to find Ponk. Once I get near his house, I see that he's outside watering what I'm assuming are tree saplings. When he hears me approaching he looks up, "Oh great, you here to set in on me too?" he asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask calmly, stopping a few feet in front of him. "I already got an earful from Dream. I also already told Dream that I haven't been near Sapnap's house and you can go ask Alyssa if she has but you'd be wasting your time, she hasn't left her house since the trees burnt down," he tells me.