o. prologue

"Papa?" called the five-year-old, from her seat on her father's shoulders

"Hm?" he responded, sounding exhausted.

The two were leaving their temporary motel room on their way to the train station, to yet another temporary home. This was the cycle they had been in for as far as the little girl could remember.

The walk, however, was proving to be much longer than the man had expected. The two were walking in the countryside of Uruguay, with fields of green blanketing the area. There was an abundance of farms stretched out on both sides of the dirt road they were walking along.

"Was ist das?" his daughter asked in awe. What's that?

He turned to where her little finger was pointing—to a cluster of blue flowers. The petals of the flower were of a light bluish-purplish color, and they were very thin yet long, giving the flower a slightly spiky look.

The man stopped walking, carrying his daughter down from his shoulders and onto the ground, crouching near the flowers. She stared at them, eyes wide, slowly inching closer.

The girl's father picked a few of them, gently breaking their stems. He softly handed them to her—save for one—and let out a small smile, watching as her eyes twinkled in wonder. She turned them around slowly to get a better look at them.

The man then delicately placed the remaining flower in the little girl's hair, behind her left ear. She looked up at him in confusion.

"Seine farbe passt zu ihrem haar." He said, smiling wide. The color matches your hair.

She smiled back, her free hand going up to touch her hair and the flower placed there.