viii. pain & anger

WESTCHESTER, NEW YORK — 1972

Adria Lehnsherr shut her eyes in contentment as she felt the wind caress her face and cause her hair to whip around behind her. Moments like these were the only time she could actually have peace of mind these days. Moments where there was nothing but her, the ever-stretching road before her, the sound of the wind in her ears, and the moon watching over her. She let out a long, weary sigh. And along with the breath she expelled, she felt all her pent-up pain and anger exit her body. Until all that was left was a feeling of numbness and serenity.

Adria still felt buzzed from the alcohol she had consumed only a couple of hours ago. She'd been getting better and better at stealing bottles from Charles' secret cabinet.

Her week actually went off to a great start... before finding out that her dad was in prison—at the freaking pentagon!!— for assassinating the President. And that Charles and Hank had been keeping this from her for nine years. 

And how did she find out? At school.

A few weeks ago, during lunch, one of the guys in the grade below her walked up to her with a newspaper in hand—what kind of loser teenager reads the newspaper for fun?!

"Hey, uh, are you and that guy who killed the President related? Cause, I mean, you've got the same last name and all.." he asked her.

Adria frowned, "What? What do you mean?"

He held the newspaper up for her to see, where she could read. Her eyes widened as she saw her father's name written in bold on the front-page headline.

"NINE YEARS AGO, TODAY, FORMER PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY WAS ASSASSINATED BY AN ERIK LEHNSHERR"

Adria grabbed the newspaper out of his hand, her jaw dropping as she read the contents of the article. Her eyes darted left to right, desperately trying to take in the information.

"ERIK LEHNSHERR, MURDER"

"THE ONLY PRISONER HELD IN THE PENTAGON"

"VERY DANGEROUS"

Adria suddenly forgot to breathe.

"So? Are you related? Everyone's dying to know," the guy glanced back to a table nearby, where the people seated were watching their interaction intently.

Adria attempted to regain her composure, breathing in and out.

"Obviously not, dipshit. It's a common last name," she lied, her voice shaky.

He raised his eyebrow disbelievingly. Adria gave him a harsh glare, which was enough to scare him off. He walked—more like ran—back to his friends, presumably explaining to them what had happened.