iii. code names

"We should think of code names," said Raven excitedly.

Erik decided to stay, to Adria's absolute delight. He and Charles recruited a bunch of new people for their team that day, and still weren't back. The entire group, including Adria (she had grown bored of sitting in her and Erik's room alone all day), were sitting in a lounge-like room chattering happily with one another. The new people were confused as to why a seven-year-old was at a secret government base, but they adored her nonetheless-especially the one named Sean.

They were all sprawled across the various couches and chairs placed around the room, Adria being squeezed into one of the chairs with Sean.

"We're government agents now," the shapeshifter clarified, "we should have secret code names.. I wanna be called Mystique."

"Miss .. tick?" Adria whispered in confusion. Sean sent her an amused smile, being the only one who heard her.

"Damn," he said, in mock disappointment, "I wanted to be called Mystique."

"Well, tough, I called it," Raven-Sean? said.

Adria gasped and Sean jumped in his seat. She looked back and forth between the Sean that was seated beside her, and the one that was now in Raven's place.

"Woah!"

"And I'm way more mysterious than you," Raven said, in Sean's voice.

The group clapped, impressed.

"Darwin, what about you?" Raven asked, turning back into herself.

"Well, uh, Darwin's already a nickname, and you know, sort of fits. Adapt to survive and all," the man on the couch got up. "Check this out."

He walked to the fish tank that Adria was playing with earlier. Darwin dipped his head in, and his face changed shape, gills appearing on the sides.

The group clapped again.

"What's that?!" Adria asked in shock, and slight fear.

They laughed at the look on her face.

"It's something that fish have," Sean explained, half-laughing, "it helps them breathe underwater."

"They're called gills," Hank elaborated.

Darwin pulled his head out of the tank, his face turning back to normal.

"Bravo, bravo!" Hank clapped.

"Thank you, thank you," Darwin said, then pointed at Sean, "what about you?"

"I'm going to be.." Sean squinted in thought, "Banshee."

"Why do you wanna be named after a wailing spirit?" Hank asked.

Adria frowned in confusion at that.

"You might wanna cover your ears."

Sean got up, looked back to make sure Adria had her ears covered, and crouched down in front of the table. He took in a deep breath and let out a high-pitched whistle.