Chapter One

February 16, 1994

"So that's it?" the broken voice of your mother can be heard from the stairs that you're standing on, watching as the man you should be able to call your father zip up his final bag. "You're leaving?"

"I assumed you would have guessed that from me packing my all my stuff, Kamilla," he murmurs. A pit begins to form in your stomach at the interaction, knowing it wasn't going to lead to anything good.

For the past few months, your mother and father were constantly fighting, even about the smallest things, that your father seemed to start, and your mother would finish. It didn't matter what time of day, even 4 in the morning and there would be sounds of insults being thrown, shouts slipping through the walls.

As a little kid, the only solution there was for you was to hide in your room until the fighting cease, and it protected you from seeing it. Though it was just as bad when you heard it too.

"Tell me why," your mom pleads. "You have to tell me why you're just walking away all of a sudden."

"I don't have to tell you anything!!!" he snaps, scaring the both of you, and you clutched tighter onto the stuffed bear your father had once brought you.

"You can't walk away. Especially not from your daughter. She is a 9 year old girl who needs a father, James." He pauses, hand landing on the doorknob, licking his lips from the lack of words that wanted to come out. That's when your tiny feet pad down the rest of the stairs.

"Mama? Daddy?" came your light calling, both adults snapping their heads toward you. "Where's Papa going?"

They stand frozen for a few seconds, Kamilla looking back at her daughter's father, who let go of the doorknob to kneel down in front of you.

"I can't stay here, baby girl," he tells you softly, watching your face change into a sad expression. "I'm so sorry."

"So, stay," you plead, throwing your arms around him, tears forming and threatening to fall. "Please don't leave us."

"I have to," James responds, cupping your cheek. "You'll see me again soon, okay?"

Naïve enough to believe him, you nod, one of your pinky fingers extending to him. "Promise?" He smiles faintly before interlocking his own small finger with yours, sealing the deal.

"I promise."

A soft kiss is planted atop your head before the man stands up, treading back to the front door. Only this time, he opens it up. A few tears roll down your face as he walks out, bidding a final goodbye.

++++++++++++++++++++++

10 years later, you never saw him again. Basically, for the entire second half of your life, you had what people would call "daddy issues." It did hurt at first, as the kids in school would never stop their relentless teasing because you were the only one in that entire school without both parental figures, like you were some kind of alien for a choice that wasn't yours to make.

The was not one phone call, no text, not even an email that you had received from that man. The moment he left, he just disappeared. For good. To this day, neither you nor your mother would ever understand why he left that fateful day, and you spent so many nights in your life wondering. Everything seemed amazing...

So, then what changed?

However, there was one thing you had to give to your mother, and that was her strength and courage that led her to raise you all those years. Kamilla Collins never failed to turn you do the best she could to make sure you grew up to be a fine young woman, no matter how much people would treat you differently. Every laugh and tear shared built you for greater things, like graduating and even attending university for one year, just to learn something extra and kickstart your career in the near future. To be honest, life was absolutely perfect.