Chapter Four

Once in the lab, you pulled out three stools, one for Steve and Bucky (whose name you had learned on the way there), and one for yourself, getting comfortable before you presented your work in progress. You turned on a switch and pulled out a box, setting it in the center of the work table.

"Okay, so-" you start as you pull the gadget out, revealing 2 slim, sleek black bracelets. "-these are my unfinished project, it's a pair of power blockers. With the components and processors that I added, basically what they should do is take someone's harnessed powers and energy and lock them up while they're on, making them completely unable to tap into said powers."

"It looks amazing," Steve compliments, genuinely impressed at what you'd created. "What made you choose something like this to make?"

"Oh," you stop, fidgeting around with a screwdriver. "It's just...an experiment I randomly came up with, and on the bright side-" you push some other tools closer to you, retrieving the bracelet that had been passed on to Bucky, sitting it on the small stand. "-If anyone in the group has powers, it can stop them from accidental and purposeful accidents."

"Stark knew what he was doing when he took you in," he says. "You're a really smart girl." You purse your lips and shake your head slightly, letting out a tiny laugh.

"Thanks," you smile, genuinely appreciative of his comment. "What about you, Mr. Barnes? Do you think they'll work?" The aforementioned man looks at you, then Steve, then back at you again.

"You can call me Bucky, I'm not that old. And they're definitely something, (Y/n.) I'm just not as caught up on technology as you two are." You and Steve share a look, deciding not to mention how, only three days ago, you had to show Steve where the "send" button was on his cell phone.

"They must be great, you got Manchurian Candidate to speak." The unexpected voice of Tony startles you, the things on the table shooting up in the air before hovering there. You quickly swat them back down, assuming all eyes were on the man who'd just come out of nowhere.

"Kid, was that stuff just floating?"

"No?" you reply, trying to act oblivious as your lips curve into an anxious smile.

"Right," he says slowly, refusing to believe he was just seeing things but didn't push it any further, instead turning to the men sitting next to you. "Rogers, Barnes, welcome. Conference room, please." They both nod, Bucky waving goodbye to you before beginning to walk out of the room.

"I'll be there in a moment," Steve tells Tony, turning his gaze back to you once they walk out.

"Your friend seems nice," you comment, taking a wrench from the table.

"He is," he replies, smiling fondly. "He's a little shy now, but it's only because he hasn't had any normal social interaction in about 70 years."

Your eyebrows go up. "He's your age?"

"Older, by a year." You just blink and nod.

"Sounds nice to have a friend like that. Probably makes for some really great stories."

"Oh, you have no idea," Steve chuckles, eliciting a laugh from you as well. "Since you'll be around for a while, I'll have plenty of time to tell you some of my favorites."

"Deal," you grin, hopping off the stool to grab something on the other side of the room. "I'll let you go ahead now, I'm gonna work on this some more for a minute."

"Have fun, kiddo," he teasingly bids, walking out of the lab.

"I'm ni-!" you stop yourself, laughing softly. "Eh, there's no point in trying anymore."