You and Me Together

It was never easy standing out among many young and talented people. When I was told I would debut as the first member in a project that spans two years before the group was even completed, I knew I had to represent well.

Blockberry Creative was even created by the Ilkwang Group, a firearms-manufacturing conglomerate, specifically to embody the vision of music, film, and management geniuses

Blockberry Creative was even created by the Ilkwang Group, a firearms-manufacturing conglomerate, specifically to embody the vision of music, film, and management geniuses. To say there was pressure on the first member is an understatement. I was among many trainees, none of us knowing whether we'll get to debut at all. Although our teachers often tell me I was the prettiest, that I was a decent dancer, and my voice was more than enough, everyone thought I was lucky to be the first.

But it didn't feel like it.

The moment I was announced as the first member, the other trainees, my friends, treated me differently. They would pass by me in the halls without making eye contact anymore, with a more respectful greeting, and bowing deeper than I was comfortable with. Just weeks before that, we shared ramyeon from the same cup, using the same chopsticks. It wasn't their fault. The managers made sure the trainees were not comfortable to be with 'idols'.

The duration between me and the next member was the longest month I have ever experienced. The whole time, I was alone. While I was a trainee, the dorm felt like a slumber party every night. As the only member though, it wasn't much fun sleeping alone, with five and a half empty bunk beds.

That's why I was happy when she came into my life... Kim Hyunjin.

She didn't have a choice but to be my best friend

She didn't have a choice but to be my best friend. We were the same age anyway, and I don't know how old the next members are going to be. Besides, she's really funny. I love all the members, but she really has a special place in my heart. I'm glad to be in the same group as her, and with the end of our contracts, I'll be happy to renew it with her.

"BOO!"

Suddenly, cold hands covered my eyes from the back. I instantly knew it was her. Who else would dare jump on a well-known idol in the middle of a cafe?

"W-What the... Ya! Kim Hyunjin! what's wrong with you?" I chuckled.
"This isn't Hyunjin, give me all your money!" she said, in a voice I was sure she thought was menacing.
"Okay, Thief-nim. I bought you iced americano... Is that fine?"