Ballets and Bullets

Isiah and Lola were laying in bed, Lola with her head on Isiah's chest just as there was continuous knocking at the door, "Go away!" Isiah shouted 

The knocking stopped before a second later it started again, "Fuck me." Lola said as she stood up 

Isiah turned the light on and sat up, "Don't tempt me." 

Lola smiled as she walked out of the bedroom towards the front door and when she opened it Tommy walked in, "Tommy it's 2 in the morning. If you have woken up my kids I will shoot you." 

Tommy turned around and looked at her, "I stood on a bridge tonight, Lola. And I looked down. And Grace was there...but she was still alive." 

Lola sighed, "Tom, have you still been taking laudanum?" 

"The fucking name of the barge was The January. My dad's boat. The boat I was born on. We've never got anything. We've never got anything. And we never fucking will." Tommy shouted 

Lola covered Tommy's mouth and pushed him against the wall, "Be quiet or so help me god...Dr Brooke said that you never arrived for your appointment, Tom" 

Lola took a step back and Tommy shook his head, "No. There's nothing in his books of any use to a man like me. They talk about guilt. Eh? Guilt! What fucking guilt?" 

"The black barge," Lola suggested 

Tommy shook his head, "No. No, that's not it. That's not it." 

"Grace then. The stone, you think that was you, you gave it to her. But you didn't curse the thing, Tom. As much as you might want to, you can't curse people." Lola said 

Tommy sat down on the chair in the hallway, "He had it right. Mosley had it right. He said Forbidding is forbidden to us. We can do anything. Nothing can stop us. But there's a part of me that is unfamiliar to myself. And I keep finding myself there. And only The January can get me away." 

"Will you at least try the doctors again, Tom?" Lola asked and Tommy shook his head, "Well, then at least throw away your opium. It's that that causes the visions. Just... throw it away. While it's there, it's a temptation. How much have you got left?"