Christmas

Four years later: 

Four years later: 

At Tommy's house, Lola was waiting at the phone whilst Lizzie was sitting on the sofa with all the children running around, "This projector is a gift from Charlie fucking Chaplin and he sent it all the way from Hollywood. Now sit down and watch the film." Lizzie called to the kids as they were running past the projector

Lola looked over to one of Johnny's kids, Elizabeth, "Elizabeth, honey don't do that. You're going to hurt yourself...oh yes hello is the Bell Tavern? If there's a gypsy in there called Johnny Dogs, can you tell him to come and round up his fucking kids?" 

Lizzie stood up and clapped her hands, "OK, everyone, OK. We're having this Christmas party early because tomorrow, me and Charles and Ruby are going on a big ship to Canada, to be with their daddy. But we told Father Christmas about the party....and he has brought you all presents." 

All the children laughed and started to run into the next room, Lola looked over at JJ who was still standing, "Go on then. Go find your sisters.

Lizzie and Lola walked over to Ada, "Ada, where the fuck is Father Christmas?" Lizzie asked 

"I don't know. He was supposed to be here by now." Ada said 

Lola nodded, "Yeah. Where the fuck are you, Santa?...I'll go have a walk around see if I can find him." 

. . . . . . . . 

Lola walked into the kitchen and saw Arthur asleep at the table in the santa costume, "Arthur...Come on, come on, God." Lola said as she walked over to Arthur and tried pulled him up, "Oh, God, if mum was still here, she'd never have let it get this bad." 

She crouched down in front of him, "Come on. Come on, Arthur." Lola sighed as she slapped Arthur around the face, "Arthur! I am not my mother, but I am still your fucking cousin. You swore to me you would stop using." 

"It's Christmas Day, Lola. Christmas Day." Arthur muttered 

Lola nodded, "Yes, it's Christmas. So where the fuck are the fucking presents?" 

"I'll be all right in a bit..." 

Lola stood up, "Great...Fuck." 

"Santa looks fun." Isiah said as he walked into the room 

Lola shook her head as she walked over to him, "Doesn't he. I don't suppose you'd put on the suit would you?"

Isiah chuckled, "Black Santa, that'll be the day. No, but I have a better idea."  

. . . . . . . .

The pair walked back into the living room, Isiah holding the sack of presents, "Alright kids! Father Christmas has been! Come here." 

All the children laughed as they ran towards Isiah and sat down in front of him at the tree, Father Christmas got stuck up the chimney again, did he?" 

Lola nodded, "That he did." 

"Well let's be glad we have a kind of replacement." Ada said, she looked at Lizzie, "What ship are you on tomorrow?" 

"Oh, the best, the most expensive one. And then we'll get there, and Tommy will say, Hello, Lizzie. Hello, children, in that dead voice." Lizzie sighed

"Come on, Lizzie, he'll be on holiday. Being away might change him." Ada said 

Lizzie shook her head, "Even on holiday, Ada...even on top of a rocky mountain, he'll be the same way he's been since Polly died. No more Polly, no more whisky, no more Tommy." 

"No more a lot of things." Lola said as she walked over to JJ who was sitting on a chair with a wooden horse, "What have you got there little man?" 

JJ showed Lola his wooden horse as Molly walked over to her, "Look what Santa got me!" 

"Wow, look at that." Lola smiled as she looked at the doll Molly was holding 

. . . . . . . . . 

Back at the Jesus-Gray house, Lola was sitting in the study just as the phone rang, "You gonna get it?" Ellie asked 

Lola shook her head, "No, it's Christmas I'm not dealing in that today." 

"It might be important."

"Which is why I'm not answering it." 

"Can I answer it?" Ellie asked 

Lola shook her head as she walked over to the phone, "No." She picked up the phone, "This better be good." 

"It's me. I've been arrested." 

Lola looked up at Ellie, "Go find your brother and your sister, play with them for a second." 

"But-" 

"Go!" Lola said interrupting Ellie, Ellie nodded as she walked out of the room, "What the fuck? Tommy Shelby steps back into your life and, right away, this is what happens. Your wife is going to have a fit." Lola sighed as she sat down, "How is Laurence?" 

"Oh, you know. Missing his father."

Lola nodded, "What the fuck happened, Michael?" 

"It's in hand." 

"Whose hand?" Lola asked but she got no reply, "No, really. Whose fucking hand, Michael? Hmm?" 

There was a pause until she heard, "Like everything else in this city, it's in the hand of Uncle Jack. I need him to get the charges lifted and get me out of here." 

Lola chuckled, "Oh my god. He wants to do business with Jack? He wants to take on Boston?" 

"No-one is taking on anyone. It's in hand. There are deals being made at a high level, but there are some people at the middle level and lower levels who cannot be trusted." 

"Michael, this sounds fucking-" 

Michael cut Lola off, "Listen. It was Tommy himself who warned us of the informant. We're guessing that the informant was the one that tipped off the police about me." 

"Then the devil's plan has already begun. What's the point of ships and planes if you can't get away?" 

"There was a man being fished out of the Boston Harbour with a bleeding heart tattoo and the name Maria written on his arm. Single shot to the head. His death will lead to others. For this business to work, we must only use men we trust. And while the clean-up is being carried out, you must keep things to yourself. You talk loose to anyone; it'll be me in the harbour and Gina will be the Maria with the bleeding heart. Do you understand?" 

"Michael, I just want the truth. No, fuck that. I need the truth! Why are you doing business with him again? I don't hear from you in months and now this happens, come on!" 

"Some of my business with Tommy Shelby is unfinished. This is my opportunity to finish it. Our opportunity." 

"Okay just hear me out on this one. Do you really believe it was the informant that tipped of the police? Tommy warned you about him and you end up in jail. Come on you're smarter than that. Tommy tipped them off, he's the reason you're in there. Jack's favourite niece's husband banged up in Boston for smuggling opium. What does he do? If he intervenes and has him released, how will that play in the Oval Office? If he does nothing, how does that play in South Boston?...The devil always has a plan." 

"Fuck." 

Lola nodded, "Yeah fuck." 

Thank you for reading 

Comment and Vote