Chapter eight: suspicions

"I'm here... are you alright, Marc?"

Sergej's voice wasn't the most calm when I asked him to meet us straight during the night, after a long and tiring trip in a tiny little message on WhatsApp. He agreed to come immediately of course, tearing up the door like a madman, sending out poor Jefferey with unfriendly words that he'll change him, just go and don't ask questions from an upper-ranked.

Poor guy, I started to like him. He was always in silence but seemed like a good boy.

We were sitting in the same position we had been when I woke up from my faint. Kurt's back against the wall, mine against his chest. His arms were folded around me, playing with my fingers which were in front of me, in my lap. Of course, we weren't sitting like that all afternoon: I had a check-up and also had to make a confession about having diabetic ketoacidosis – aka my blood sugar level rushing into the sky, thanks to the unexpectedly huge amount of sugar in that white coffee. Mr. Portman said they'll start an investigation about the case.

I also made a little trip to a local store to get something to eat, both for me and Kurt. For Kurt, I got a cinnamon roll, that was his favourite bakery goodie. For myself, I got a sugarfree cherry strudel. As for drinks, I got two bottles of sugarfree limonade.

I also bought a chocolate croissant for Jeffrey. Just to make him feel I was no jerk.

We made a little picnic in the room, sitting in front of each other. The food was amazing, I felt my belly warming up after receiving the fuel. We had chit-chats all along, now without directed questions hidden in my sentences. After what had happened I gave myself a day off and just enjoyed the time spent with Kurt.

And to tell you the truth, I couldn't have done better. I felt finally 100% free, simply loving and living the moment. I could adore Kurt's heart-melting smile and the way he combed his messy, dull-brown hair. The way he looked at me, that joy in those hazel eyes... I simply loved them.

I maybe fell in love with that mesmerizing gaze.

After finishing off his cinnamon roll, he crawled to my side, asking for a tissue in a quite polite way. I told him how nice his manner was and gave him the tissue. He wiped it off with a swift movement and in a blink of time, he was behind me, crawling close to my back with his chest. He asked me if it was okay and I told him the answer my heart said: it was absolutely fine.

I didn't know if it was love I felt or just some flash in the pan – and I honestly didn't care. I only knew that I haven't felt that relieved and truly happy before as I did at that moment. My heart began racing with the light every time Kurt drilled his face into my neck. Goosebumps ran all over me every time he blew kisses onto my skin with such gentleness I didn't expect from him. He told me multiple times how grateful he was for me not dying, causing me to chuckle and the want to nestle even closer to him.

We were chilling at that position when Sergej tore the door open, scaring the life out of us. When my brain realised it was him, I carefully slipped my hands out of Kurt's warm touch, placing my weight onto my lower leg. I didn't know why I did what I did, especially in front of Sergej – with who my situation was almost-dating: I turned back for a moment and gave Kurt a kiss on the forehead and ruffled his duff-brown locks.

"Sergej!" I hurried to him then, folding my hands around his muscular neck. He didn't give me back, simply patted my back gently. I think he will have some questions to ask after this little meeting is over. "Thanks for coming so fast. We're doing great, thanks to Kurt's quick reaction"

The boy sent me a wink, rising to his feet and joining us from a given distance, with lazy steps. He always did this, not trusting anyone else beside me. Not even Sergej.