Chapter 30

We all walked down a long concrete hallway, opening the door that followed. A bunch of people in lab coats were dead on the ground. I grabbed Thomas's hand, hoping to never see such a thing. He gave me a comforting smile, and opened a door that lead to a lab.

There was computer screens like the ones I saw when I was in the Changing.

We all explored around the lab, looking at the computer screens. When I got to a computer screen with a button flashing, Chuck was next to me.

"Maybe you should push that button." He said, pointing at the flashing button.

I pushed it and Ava Paige was up on he screen.

"Hello. I am Ava Paige, director of the WICKED program. I'm happy to say that you from Group A have made it through the Maze. I'm sure you are all upset, confused, and angry about all of this. The Earth was scorched by the sun. Many cities were destroyed, buildings burned, families dead. But then a man-made virus escaped a lab area called the Flare. The Flare attacks the brain and makes a person go insane, slowly killing the person. But there was hope. A new generation arose that was immune to this Flare. That's where WICKED, or World In Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department, comes in. Just remember," Ava Paige said, holding a loaded gun to her head. "WICKED is good." I turned my head, blocking her killing herself. I saw her dead body laying on the floor of her "office".

Thomas put his hand on my shoulder. I was about to cry. Not because of Ava Paige. Because of what Gally was going to do to Chuck.

We walked toward the door about to leave, when Gally came.

"You." Gally said.

We all spun around.

"Gally-" Thomas said.

"He's been stung." I whispered.

"You did this to us." Gally said, picking up a gun.

"Gally, I don't-" Thomas started.

"I belong to the Maze." Gally said.

He shot the gun, but Minho threw a spear at him. Gally fell to the ground, dead.

That gun shot...Chuck...

"Thomas..." Chuck said. A big blood spot formed on Chuck's chest.

"Chuck." Thomas said.

Chuck fell to the ground. Charlotte started to cry. Newt hugged her, also starting to cry.

I started to cry. Thomas was shaking Chuck.

"Thomas...give this to...my mom. Tell her-" Chuck said, before his last breath.

"No. No Chuck. Chuck!" Thomas yelled.

"Thomas..."I said, giving him a hug. The door burst open and people dressed in all black dragged us out.

We were dragged onto a helicopter. When the helicopter was in the air, the man that dragged Thomas out took off his black mask.

"Welcome to the Scorch." he said.

I sat there next to Thomas, he looked at his feet. I rested my head on his shoulder, and I started to close my eyes. He grabbed my hand, and squeezed it tight. I was soon asleep on his shoulder.