Chapter 5

We heard a shriek in the distance coming from the Homestead. I jumped at the sound of it.

"What was that!?" Thomas asked in surprise.

"Ben. He's been stung by the Grievers." I replied.

"Grievers?" Thomas asked.

"Yea-" I started.

"Grievers? What are you talking about?" Chuck said.

Charlotte and I exchanged glances and she shook her head.

"I won't argue." I muttered.

A few hours later, we were all at the bonfire. I sat next to Charlotte, who of course sat next to Newt.

"How do you girls know so much?" Newt asked.

"We just...do." I said.

"You've only been here one bloody day. You seem to have your memory, too." Newt said.

"We just know about the Maze, Newt." Charlotte said.

Soon Thomas came over and joined us.

"What's out there?" He asked after he came over.

"Endless walls." Charlotte said.

"No ones ever survived a night in the Maze. Once those doors close, there's no coming back." I said.

"What happens to them?" Thomas asked.

"Grievers." Newt replied.

"Everyday when those doors open, the Runners go out and search for a way out." I said, turning around and pointing at Minho and the other Runners.

We got up and showed Thomas who was who and what they did. Gally was trying to push someone out of the circle. The boy tumbled on his back and fell out of the circle. Gally started backing up and bumped into me.

He turned around and gave me a glare.

"Oh, girly gonna start a fight?" Gally asked.

"Come on! You backed into her!" Charlotte said.

"Come on, girly. Its simple. I try not to push-" Gally started, ignoring what Charlotte said.

"I try not to get pushed out of the circle. Yea, I know. But I'm not into this." I said, trying to leave the circle.

"Come on, girly. You ain't leaving." Gally said, pushing me on the back.

I fell forward, but caught myself before I hit the ground. I whipped around giving a glare.

"Ooo! Girly gonna fight." Gally said, giving me another shove.

I shoved him back, hard.

"Quit calling me 'Girly' and I'll take it easy on you." I said, gritting me teeth.

He shoved me again, even harder than the first time. I tumbled back onto my back and just laid there. Gally looked down at me, glaring.

"I guess your giving-" he started. Too late! I kicked him in the stomach.

"Girly, ya don't mess with me." Gally glared, punching me.

"Well too bad. It always ends the same way." I said.

Gally walked over to me, about to punch me in the face again, but then Thomas jumped in front of me.

"Don't hurt her."