chapter one

I had gone out for a walk early in the morning after my lady-in-waiting insisted it would do me well. I've fallen into a monotonous routine, and it's evident that I've grown unhappy from it. After being dressed and sat for breakfast, she accompanied me on a walk in the garden.

Unknowing to me, my chambers consisted of trunks being filled. Petticoats and chemises laid across my bed. Hats and gloves on my desk. My stockings are hanging on my desk chair near my shoes.

Father followed me to my chambers and watched as I stopped in the open doorway, turning back to him for some sort of clarification. I wasn't aware of any form of traveling, so the sudden packing in my chambers has caused some confusion on my end.

"Laurance and I have decided to send you to O'Khasis," he says, peeking his head into my chambers before walking in. The servants stop to acknowledge him before continuing on with work.

"I've never been to O'Khasis," I remind him, shaking my head. "Especially alone."

"You won't be alone. I'm sending your lady-in-waiting alongside you."

Adeline looks up at me for a brief moment, keeping my garters together by wrapping them in fabric. She gives me a curt nod before laying my stockings beside my garters and shutting off the trunk.

"When the work here is done, they'll ready the horses while they dress you in your traveling suit," father continues. He looks quite proud of himself at this moment. "Laurance and I will see you out."

"I leave today?"

"I thought you'd enjoy this surprise. You'll officially be introduced to the kingdom your fiancé is from."

My lips curve up into a dull smile, head slowly lowering in respect. "The surprise is wonderful, father. I'm in shock, is all."

He looks at me in approval before commenting that the work must increase in speed for as much daylight as possible. Adeline rushes to my side, beginning to undo my bodice while someone else slips my shoes off my feet.

"I thought you'd be pleased by this," Adeline says, loosening my skirts. "You mention quite often that you have only seen the man you'll marry. Never once have you met him."

"I've seen him through portraits!" I exclaim, eyes growing wide. Several servants leave after laying my traveling suit on my bed. Adeline is forced to follow me when I begin to walk towards my desk, reaching inside for the small portrait I have. I'm scolded for wandering around half-dressed, but it's only the two of us in this room. "Portraits lie. The one father sent in return most certainly did."

The small frame is taken from my grasp and placed on the wood. Her hands rest on her hips before I'm told to stand still, so my stockings can glide their way up my calves and be tied in place by my garters.

Despite my protests, her work is quick and to the point. I'm left with putting on my own gloves and holding onto my fan when she leaves the room. I drop the small portrait and fan into my handbag before sulking to the door. I've never left home alone before, and the idea terrifies me to great ends. 

"Allow me to escort Her Royal Highness to her carriage."

My eyes cast up to Laurance's sly smile. He holds his arm out to me to grab onto, but my distaste for him at this moment causes me to snub him. With my head held high, I cascade down the stairs with little thought of where my brother is. "May I ask why now?"

"Your birthday is near. Wouldn't you wish to know who you're marrying beforehand?"

"I would've wished to know of my traveling before the day of."