chapter twenty nine

A great deal of time passed. I watched three marriages commence and one new relationship form. I attended two coronations before I was set to bed rest. Three babies were born. 

I managed to conceive shortly after returning to Meteli after Laurance's wedding. I was able to happily write a letter home to my brother and father announcing our daughter's birth. She isn't a son like I hoped, but Vylad seems happy nonetheless. 

I don't know what happened while we were away, but Garte's attitude changed regarding children when we returned back to O'Khasis. I like to think it was Zianna or Garte, but no one has told me. I'm unaware if Vylad knows. And if he does, he hasn't told me.

Kandi wrote to us all a year into her marriage. She stated how Aaron believed she was finally with child after many failed attempts of conceiving. Thankfully, for them, the child was a boy. 

When I arrived at my brother's coronation, he speculated with me that he believed his wife to be pregnant. I was in the middle of my pregnancy during that time, but I hadn't been subjected to bed rest just yet. From what she had explained to me, and what my brother worried about, she sounded as though she was in the early stages. 

Two months after I gave birth to Paris, she gave birth to their daughter. Laurance seemed to panic in his letter, but I assured him it's only a fifty percent chance of either sex and that the next child may be a true heir. 

As for Laurance's view on my marriage, it took time before he found the genuine aspect. Eventually, I fell in love with my husband. He was gentle and kind while I was with child, and he refused to leave my side during the delivery. I think this pregnancy only brought us closer together. Soon enough, Laurance gave up on his idea of it being a ruse.

"Alex, have you seen the governess? She told me she thinks Paris is developing a cold."

I was looking for Vylad to have a talk with him, but this makes me stop walking. He closes the large distance between us by quickening his pace. 

"A cold? I suppose it is around that time of the year," I say. The weather has already turned cooler, and I've started to slowly change into my cooler weather clothes as time progresses. "We've already learned she has allergies."

He shakes his head. "It's too late for it to be allergies. It most definitely must be a cold. I should check on her. Do you know where she may be?"

"She must be in the nursery," I say. "The governess wouldn't dare take her outside at a time like this. But Vylad, I wanted to talk to you."

Vylad doesn't move from his spot. While he cares for his child, he cares for me too. He looks concerned, and his fights fight between focusing on my eyes or stomach. 

"Is. . . Is something wrong with the baby?"

I place my hand on my stomach. As far as I'm concerned, the baby is perfectly fine. I'm about halfway through this pregnancy, and I'm showing far faster than I had with my first. My morning sickness wasn't as bad, but the hunger remains consistent. 

"Of course not, but it does concern the baby. It concerns us all. Why don't we sit and talk? Then we can check on Paris together."

There's a wave of relief that flashes over Vylad's face. I don't wish to imagine losing another child. I've already lost one. 

The two of us walk towards the library. It just so happened that we were right around the corner from it. I assumed he was going to be there, and I can only think he assumed I'd be there as well. 

I keep myself standing as I have him sit down. He urges me to sit beside him, but I protest because I'll be sitting long enough towards the end of this pregnancy. 

"I was thinking we should move out into our own residence. Paris is getting older, and we're already having our second child. Zane will move out soon when he gets married. Garroth plans to have another child. And while that's great for Paris, it's awful having two pregnant women in one residence. We're not freshly married anymore. I wish to have our own home."

Vylad is silent for longer than I expected. I begin to feel anxious that he'll disagree, but I feel as though this is what's best. 

He slowly begins to nod his head. "If this is how you feel, I'll speak with my brother and start the transition."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Our second child wasn't a boy. Vylad wasn't disappointed, and I came to the conclusion that I am happy that I can simply conceive and give birth to a healthy baby. Besides, I don't have to worry about an heir. 

Andromeda seems to be a happy baby, but she is rather clingy. Paris is thrilled by the idea of a baby sister, and I constantly catch her stealing glances at her sleeping in her crib. Sometimes she forgets just how little Andromeda is, and she also forgets that Andromeda isn't a doll. 

I'm standing in the nursery staring out the window with Andromeda in my arms. Paris is sitting nearby on the floor with her dolls. All I see are blonde curls and two half pigtails in ribbons on the top of her head. It's once in a great while she looks up at me with her big green eyes before mumbling to herself again. 

Andromeda, like Paris, is the best of both worlds. She had my brown eyes but her father's brown hair. There's not a great amount on her head, but there's enough to know what color it is. 

"If it isn't my favorite girls."

I turn around to see Vylad standing in the doorway. Paris jumps up from her seated position and runs to him. She's lifted into his arms as he walks towards Andromeda and I. 

"How is she?"

I told the governess I wanted some alone time with my children. I like to bond with them one on one. 

"Sleeping. She sleeps best in someone's arms."

He stares down at Andromeda. He doesn't utter a word and instead presses a kiss on her head. 

"I think our little family is perfect."

I glance over to him. "You don't wish for a boy?"

He only smiles. "I couldn't care less about passing on my name. I have my girls, and that's all that matters."

I nod my head and tuck the blanket tighter by Andromeda's face. She looks so peaceful, I can only hope she has the best of dreams.

"Thank you," I say. "And, I love you. I feel as though I have to play catch up after the beginning of our marriage."

He adjusts how he's standing with Paris. One hand supports her while he wraps his other arm around my back. A soft kiss is planted on my cheek. "We fixed it, didn't we? That's all that matters." He stares down at Paris and Andromeda before looking back up at me. "I love you too. And I was thinking. . . why don't we get a family portrait done?"

"I'd like that."