chapter twenty eight

I have returned back to Meteli in good health and high spirits. And this time, my husband is with me in the same carriage. The others will follow suit tomorrow. Well, the children at least. 

The carriage door opens, and I don't bother reaching for Vylad's hand when he offers it to me. I can't help but smile as I lift my skirts and rush towards both my brother and father. 

"You smile so brightly," Father says, holding his hands out to me to grab onto. My smile increases in size and clasps on tightly. He changes this touch to a much needed embrace. "You're happy, my darling?" 

I can hear Vylad's footsteps growing louder before they stop. I pull away from father and drop down into a curtsy, well aware I had broken protocol. 

"Vylad has made me happier than I've been in quite some time," I state, turning towards my husband. "He made the journey here much less lonely. Their Highnesses will leave tomorrow." 

I turn to Laurance. He doesn't appear to be as pleased as I had hoped he would. Though, with Vylad by my side, I wasn't expecting much hospitality. 

"Brother, do smile. You do turn one age older tomorrow. It should be a joyous occasion." 

Laurance's gaze slowly softens at the sight of me. He pulls me into an embrace, like father did, and leans his lips toward my ear. "Are you playing a ruse? Are you genuine?"

I pull away from Laurance, posture becoming stiff. I reach behind for Vylad, wanting his arm to hold onto. 

"Father, brother, I'm tired. The journey took a great deal of energy out of me," I lie, wrapping my arm around Vylad's. "Is it alright if we rest?"

Father nods, laughing to himself. "I was so excited I nearly forgot that you may be fatigued after traveling. Please, you know your way to your old chambers."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

When I enter my old chambers, the windows are opened. There's a breeze flowing through the room. To my surprise, a bouquet of flowers is nearby on my old vanity. 

"This must be father's doing. It's a time for Laurance, but he continues to take time out of his day to give me surprises." 

My fingers trace over the delicate petals before reaching up to my hat and unpinning it from my head. I place it down on the wooden surface, glancing back at Vylad. 

He leans against the wall, an amused smirk on his face. "Your brother hates me. That's clear to see," Vylad says, slowly walking towards me. "And yet, you're unbothered. Are you even tired?"

My smile becomes sly as I begin to pull my gloves off of my hands. "Of course I'm tired. I just exaggerated how tired I truly was. Now, help me undress. You know I am not one to oppose resting."

"Shouldn't I call a lady in for you?"

My hoops sway when I turn back towards Vylad. I've already begun to unbutton my bodice. "Nonsense. I have watched my ladies dress and undress me often enough to know how to do it myself," I say. "I don't wish for a lady. I wish for you."

Vylad doesn't say anything after that. He isn't clueless on how my garments work. His fingers are quick on loosening my corset, and my colored petticoats have already been thrown on the bed. I'm left in my chemise by the time we finish. 

He only shakes his head at my antics and reaches for the buttons on his chest. I place each individual piece of my traveling dress on top of my trunk. I've already placed my dressing down on a nearby chair. 

"And nevermind my brother," I state. "He's a fool." 

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The others arrived days later. Laurance's wedding is in two days. Then, while they go off on their honeymoon, we'll return back to O'Khasis. Kandi's ball won't be too soon afterwards. 

"I saw how you were with the others. O'Khasis has truly taken a great influence over you."

I debate between continuing to walk with my brother or to walk away from him. I decide that walking away would be the wrong thing to do.

"Well, Laurance, I have lived there for a bit now. My husband is from there. His family. I possess their last name now. I was bound to change eventually."

I don't believe this is what he wished to hear. He stops walking and turns to me with a scowl. "Will you stop referring to that man as your husband?"

"What am I supposed to refer to him as?" I ask. "The man to whom I'm married to? The same man you and father gave my hand to?"

His stare becomes cold. If I know my brother well enough, he is withstanding from speaking as he thinks about what he wishes to say. He knows that I am correct on what I've said. 

"I just worry about you. I don't believe your feelings are genuine, and I fear he'll hurt you again."

I shake my head. "Laurance, if I haven't proved to you within these past few days that I am genuine, I am unsure how to do so. I am a working royal for O'Khasis now. I am not your problem anymore. You have a wedding soon, and a coronation will follow soon enough. Please, focus on your duty and not the past."