chapter seventeen

A messenger came to my chambers early this morning, a note laying on a plate. A wax stamp of 'LZ' alerted me that it was Laurance calling for me before I could see his name sloppily written at the bottom of the page. There wasn't much to the piece of paper.

Meet me at father's study at 12:00

– Laurance

It was evident there wasn't much mind placed to this letter. He could've written it during the time it took for the wax to melt. No periods. Poor spacing. His singular line, crooked and centered in the middle of the page. It's evident it was rushed considering how sloppy his words are written.

I feel like a traitor walking down the corridors to my father's study. It feels like a dark cloud has been placed over me. That somehow what I'm doing is wrong. Perhaps it's the impression I was given through that note. I can't help but to watch where I step and how loud the echo is. Even my knock is barely audible.

The door opens with a creak. Laurance sits behind father's desk like he owns it. He fills the position well. He sits up with perfect posture and confidence. Papers are neatly stacked beside him. Paper and a pen sits directly in front of him, a chair pulled up directly in front of the desk.

Something about this scene tells me this wasn't for a simple "hello."

"When you entered this room, the newly made difference in our last names grew important. You have inside information, and I want it."

"A hello would've been considerate," I state, walking over to the chair and sitting down. Father's chairs have always been larger than me. I've been swallowed every time. Now isn't an exception. 

"Hello. Is that better?" He places his hands on the table, interlacing them within each other. If this is how Laurance wishes to get to business when he is on the throne, Meteli will change. He lifts his chin, staring down at me sternly. I sit like a lady, my hands in my lap. "I want a timeline."

"What? A timeline. Of what?"

He clears his throat, rolling his eyes as if I was supposed to know what he meant. He pushes the paper my way, informing me exactly what he wanted. I can't help but to roll my eyes in the process.

"You want me to be a snitch?" I ask, mere disgust in my tone.

"I wouldn't call it being a snitch," Laurance comments. "You're simply just confirming what we've heard or thought. Besides, I thought you hated O'Khasis."

"Give me the pen."

His expression changes. What was once stern and cold became a smile that mostly resembled a smirk. It was too mixed to determine which one it truly was. While writing, I tried to explain how I knew what I knew and why. There were many questions.

April 25th – My wedding day

"How is that relevant?"

I glare up at Laurance. "Let me write this down first. I have to think."

April 25th – My wedding day

Late July – Current time

Late October – Kandilyn's engagement ball

Early November – Kandilyn's wedding to heir of FC

Mid to Late November – Confinement

February

Mid-March – Garroth's engagement ball

Late March – Garroth's marriage to Princess of SW

Mid-April – Garroth's birthday (nineteenth?)

Late April – Garroth's coronation

I place the pen down, pushing the paper closer towards Laurance. It sits in the middle of the desk, face up to use. I continue to feel torn on what side I should be on. "You realize I have every right to report this information to my husband."

"You don't talk to your husband." Laurance nearly laughs alongside this, shaking his head as if I told him a jest. "But explain it, please." His 'please' was delayed, but it worked nonetheless.

I grab the pen again, using it to point at each of the dates. "I was married late April. That meant Vylad was out of the question on a suitor. This must've been calculated and assumed I would've become pregnant on my wedding night, so they planned out Kandi's wedding soon after. Doctors say this was the case, and I'm bedridden come about middle to late November. Garte wants to quickly marry off Kandi, but me being happily pregnant and married suits the royal family's reputation, so a ball and wedding is hosted while I am still allowed to be in public. Kandi, Vylad, and Zane all have birthdays before January. Nothing overlaps."

Laurance's eyes follow the pen. He nods with each date I state, eyes meeting mine when I explain its importance.

"It's estimated I'll give birth come late January or early February. Garroth will be getting married in late March, meaning there's a ball Mid-March. Invitations of Kandi's wedding are in the midst of being made. Garroth's will be made shortly afterwards. Garroth's birthday is in the middle of April. His coronation followed shortly after. Considering if Kandi conceived on her wedding night, she'll be in attendance. She won't hit her confinement until birth just yet." 

Laurance looks pleased with this information. He's about to allow me to leave until he realizes I have written February on the sheet of paper. I'm already standing. He points to the lonesome month, lifting an eyebrow in response. "Why is February there?"

I sigh. "I assumed you were thinking about your own coronation in the midst of this. Your marriage is scheduled the week after your birthday, the brink of the end of September. I know you, Laurance. You want your coronation before Garroth's," I state, leaning over and grabbing onto the pen. I scribble on the page once more. "Have it in February. My birthday is the month after, and Cadenza's is in May. Now, I must leave. I plan to volunteer in the village, and I wish to change. I'm also starved."

February – Your coronation

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Henri accompanied me with my volunteer work. He wished to further see the ins and outs of Meteli. Eleanor and his valet trail slowly behind, joining us as well. Volunteering has perhaps been something to find joyful at this moment, and having someone to be at my side makes it all the more enjoyable. Cadenza and I had done this often before, and then she was married. I typically would go out with a guard and Adeline after that.

"You seem to be at your happiest here," Henri states, looking over to me.

I glance up at him after placing the note of suggestions inside my purse for Laurance and father to glance over later. "In Meteli?" I ask.

He shakes his head and steps beside me, placing his hands over mine. I look up at him, silent. Slowly, the object in my hand is taken from my grasp as he takes care of it. "Helping people."

This makes me smile.