chapter twenty one

Laurance's POV

I've worked diligently with father lately in efforts for a flawless coronation. My hand cramps with endless scribbles of my signature, each one appearing like the last. Hundreds signed and sent off. It's only months away, and I feel we've fallen behind.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness, a letter from O'Khasis."

I look up to see a servant holding a letter on a platter. It's my hand that reaches for the paper and dismisses him. The letter appears the same as normal. The scent remains the same. Only the wax stamp is different.

"Alex has a new stamp," I mutter out loud, reaching for the letter opener near father. It's quick to slice through the paper. "Now her wax acknowledges her new name."

"Don't be foolish regarding a stamp, Laurance," he tells me, neglecting to look up at me through his papers. "Read it out loud for both of us. It's addressed to us both, isn't it?"

I nod, eyes skimming over the first line.

My Dear Family,

Little time before now, a great pain occurred within me. Fear struck, and a doctor appeared with sorrowful news.

I am no longer pregnant. I lost the babe.

Vylad has taken great care of me since then, refusing to leave my side unless necessary. My pride has subsided and been replaced with forgiveness. We have decided to start anew, the past remaining behind us.

I hadn't wished to inform you of such news, but it was unavoidable.

Your Loving Daughter and Sister,
Alexandra Ro'meave

"She lost the baby," father says, looking over to me from his papers. The pen in his hand goes still. "My baby lost her baby."

"Did she even write this? It feels like a set up," I announce, shaking my head at the letter. It's in her hand. It's her fragrance. Her seal. But letting go of her pride and choosing forgiveness? "Father, I'll write her back for the both of us."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Alex's POV

My hands have always been the size of a child's. My fingers can dance around the keys of a piano, but they struggle when my pinkies can't reach a far off note. Laurance would tease me when I struggled with a tune, telling me that I needed to grow.

I haven't touched a piano in a few months.

A hand places itself on my shoulder. I look up to see Vylad's gaze on me. I blush but move to the side of the bench for him to sit beside me.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Vylad comments, fingers moving gracefully against the black and white keys. He flips a page before looking back over to me.

"It's been a month," I reply, shaking my head and looking back down to the keys for the shortest moment. "I feel well, and there is nothing I could possibly rest for."

Zianna walks in, envelopes sitting in her hand. She stands beside us, smiling softly at the sight once more. She's been happier lately.

I've been happier.

"Mother?" Vylad starts, rising from the bench and standing for her. "What's going on?"

"We received some letters. I thought that perhaps your wife would like to see it herself," she says, reaching the paper out for me to grab onto.

Father's seal stamps it closed. A piece of me feels as though I'm aware of what this letter is regarding.

CORONATION OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS
PRINCE LAURANCE ZVAHL
By Command of The King
the Earl Marshal is directed to invite
Her Royal Highness Alexandra Z. Ro'meave
to be present at the Metelian Head Church on the 4th day of February

"He planned it well," Vylad says, nodding at the invitation in his hand. He places it on the piano, forgetting instantly of its presence.

"This is my doing, but I hadn't thought he'd listen," I state, shaking my head in disbelief. "It feels so near."

Zianna looks at the last letter in her hand and holds it out towards me once more. This one differs in appearance. My brother's hand adorns the envelope.

Dearest Sister,

Father feels immense sorrow for the loss of your child, despite never reaching the ninth month. He thinks of you as highly grown, but I question you in silence.

How is it that you have placed your pride to the side and come to forgiveness so soon in your marriage? Was it the loss of what could have been that caused it? I cannot wrap my head around this subject, but it is not in my power to dictate what happens within your marriage.

Just do not act in haste to return to regret.

Your Brother,
Laurance

I sigh to myself. No one has understood the sudden change in my marriage. I have not forgotten what has happened. My walls have been built tall, but I am lowering them for the best.

"Are you alright?" Vylad asks.

I only hand the letter to him.