34. i want to stay with you my love the way some science fiction does

The room is quiet, at last. I needed a bit of time to myself. I can now take a moment to breathe and collect my thoughts.
The gorgeous deep blue of the Mediterranean peaks through the open window as the long sheer white curtain inflates and deflates with the sea breeze. I loved waking up to 8so much beauty this morning, with the man I love.
The mirror gives me back the image of an excited me, with butterflies in the stomach and shine in the eyes.

It's our big day.

I look at my reflection.
The makeup is light but makes me pretty and my hair up-do, full in the back with two long curls at the sides of my face, gives an idea of something ancient.
My dress contributes to that vibe.
I didn't want to wear the white gown. I went, instead, for a long skirted dress of an iridescent color between blush and grey, that I paired with silver heeled strap sandals.
The dress features a strapless sweetheart neckline hidden below sheer, knotted shimmer tulle shoulders. Its empire waist silhouette flatters my figure, and it's underlined by a silver skinny wrap belt.

The upper arm bracelet with spirals and the decoration of silver leaves on the side of my head complete the picture. I like it. This is an omage to my beloved ancient women I love to talk about. My fans will love it. I'm sure I will hear about it; I guarantee a few pictures will end up leaking out online.

I wonder what Alex is wearing, I can't wait to see him. I've been trying to extract information from his friends, but especially the groomsmen (Matt, Jamie and Miles) are being extremely tight-lipped. I imagine a classic outfit: black suit and white dress shirt. But he might surprise me.

I close my eyes, taking some deep breaths and enjoying the silence.
We didn't want to be hungover and tired today so we made sure not to exaggerate, but we partied last night, and I've been around people all morning, while I was getting my nails, my hair and my make-up done. It was a come and go of girlfriends and moms, aunts and grandmas.

The Turners arrived in the morning, like my parents and most of our family members, and they came upstairs to say hi right away. We shared hugs like blood relatives, expressing mutual happiness. I am thrilled that they'll be my parents in-law and considering Penny's candid comments, they're ecstatic of welcoming me in the family. They're my number one fans, they love the show. They think that soon I'll host my own program. I don't know about that, but from next season I will be writing my own scripts for my segment.

I've been growing popular in the last few months. I have fans now. It's weird.
I'm sure that part of it must be thanks to the spreading of the information that I'm Alex Turner's other half, but I have my own fans, too. It's really odd and I'm still getting used to see myself on TV.
Money is getting real good. I plan on buying a house in Italy, possibly at the beach. A base for when I feel like going home and a hiding place for Alex and I when we want to disappear.

The good thing is that I'm getting known and appreciated also for my credentials.
UCL, the beautiful University of London, contacted me to participate as a speaker in a seminar about women in history.
It was a weird experience.

I got in the big classroom, greeted the students, introduced myself and briefly explained what I was going to talk about. After only this small introduction, a bunch of hands were raised. "Questions already?"
I motioned to a random person to ask away.
"Are you and Alex still together?"
"I'm not here to talk about my private life, miss," I replied politely, even though I was a little irritated.
I solicited another question from another person.
"Did he get you the gig on TV?"
Oh boy.
I feared this would happen.

"Are there any questions not about my personal life or my partner?"
The hands went down one after the other.
I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Ok."
I walked around the big desk to the front, and I leaned with my bum against it. I crossed my legs and I left out a big sigh, holding the edge of the desk.
"Let's get this out of our system..."