2. there's nothing like the element of surprise

The way we met was a total coincidence, about three weekends ago. My roommate, Claudia, a violin player, was invited to a house party by an old friend of hers, another violinist. This gal scored a gig with a rock/pop band not too long ago, and the band and entourage organized this party to celebrate the beginning of the tour which would start in a few weeks. When Claudia asked me if I wanted to tag along I couldn't say no. We rarely hang out, even though we're friendly at home and tell each other a lot of stuff. She didn't feel like going alone, her boyfriend was out of town and her friends weren't available. It was a little too last minute for my taste, but it sounded really interesting and fun. Heck, I needed some fun. I have been miserable for months after my fiancé cheated on me and we split, and now that I got over it I wanted to enjoy life.

We were in the car, driving to L.A., when I asked her more about this band.
"I don't know who they are, to tell you the truth. British. 'Puppy-something'. 'Puppy Shadow'? Or maybe Puppets..."
"The Last Shadow Puppets??!" I asked in a very high pitched tone.
"Yes! That was the name. Do you know them?"
"THE LAST SHADOW PUPPETS!!? Oh my god!" I was freaking out.
"I'll take that as a yes!"
"What in the actual f-?! Yes, it's one of my favorite bands! I have a ticket for early next month, they're playing in San Diego! Alex Turner and Miles Kane. Holy shit!"
"Wait, THAT Alex Turner? From the Antartic Monkeys?
"Arctic Monkeys. Yes! It's him! And you know how crazy I am for that guy."
"Oh I know, you never shut up about him. I mean, there's a picture of him on our fridge! Damn, girl, it's your lucky day!"
"Cla, I'm losing my shit! He's my dream." I spent the rest of the ride blabbering about Alex, Miles and the Arctic Monkeys. Claudia probably had enough of me after fifteen minutes into the rest of the trip.

I was nervous and agitated when we arrived. I remember scanning every face in the room, excited but also kind of anxious to see Alex. That was going to be a big emotion and I wasn't sure if I was prepared for it. I kept looking around as we met with Claudia's friend and we were introduced to several people, including some of the Puppets. We walked in few different rooms and I didn't see Alex nor Miles. I started to think, with disappointment, that maybe they weren't there.

I started wandering around, until I spotted a silhouette, outside in the pool area, smoking a cigarette. Alex, with his hair falling on his face as he looked down, the straight line line of his nose. An unmistakable profile. His boots were crossed, his pants tight and he was wearing a fitted blue dress shirt, half unbuttoned, and a black handkerchief around his neck. He was a vision.
I observed him for a few seconds, with my heart kicking in my chest. It didn't seem like he was enjoying the party; he looked kinda down and bored. Or maybe simply lost in his thoughts.

Right at that moment, Miles appeared next to his friend. He dropped his cigarette butt and stepped on it. I saw them talking and I could tell, by his gestures, that Miles was asking Alex to come inside. I hid behind somebody and pretended to be very interested in the glass of wine in my hand, as they walked past me. Then I followed them with my eyes until they disappeared in the crowd. I went discreetely after them and I saw Claudia.

"Did you see him?!" I asked, excited, when I met her.
"No, where is he? Oh by the way, turns out this is his house."
"Are you kidding me?"
"Nope."
"Look, over there, next to that guy with the very colorful floral shirt-That's Miles, by the way- Dark blue shirt, handkerchief around his neck...do you see him?"
"Oh yeah. Wow he looks different from what I remembered. Didn't he use to have short hair? Well anyway, he definitely looks handsome. Ooh, nice ass."
"He's gorgeous."
I was in a state.

I couldn't keep my eyes off him. At some point he glanced in my direction and caught me looking at him. I looked somewhere else but it was too late. And then it happened again, and again. I swear, I was trying not to stare. "Oh fuck."
"What's up?" Claudia asked.
"I'm being fucking obnoxious, that's what. I keep staring and he caught me a few times already. I'm annoying him for sure. I'm fangirling. I'm so embarrassed! I'm gonna disappear for a little bit."
"Disappear where?"
"I don't know, I'll find a quiet spot where I can calm down a bit." And I went hiding, with my half empty glass of wine.

I wandered around, looking curiously at everything. I felt so strange as I walked around, a sort of awkwardness, like I was violating a secret place. The style was actually kinda simple, but tasteful. Vintage furniture and decor, of course.
I found a little hidden niche with a loveseat and a bookshelf. I checked some titles, running my fingers along the books.
Helmut Newton. Alex, you dirty little boy.
I picked up one of the volumes. I smiled big when I saw it there, it was my favorite book: "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende. I turned on a small lamp on the side table and I sat, sipping the rest of my wine, looking inside the book; it was a beautiful edition with wonderful, intricate illustrations at the beginning of every chapter. I was checking them all, and I got completely lost in it.
Until somebody came by.

------------