C-13

Present (year 1801)

Anirudh remembered the first friend he ever made in his entire lifetime. And it was a child. That too 6 years ago on a random visit to a village. He reminisced all the memories he made with her in a short period of time.

Her endless talks. Her curious nature to know everything. Her excitement about helping others in need. Her feisty nature when she was angry. How she would pout and blow her cheeks when she was upset about something.

He felt so attached to her. But when he had to return to Devipur after a few days, she had been so heartbroken. She was crying inconsolably when she asked, "do you hate me? Why are you leaving me? You're my only friend."

His heart broke into a million pieces while hearing her cry. He could never see her face despite explaining that the curse was nothing but bullshit and she should not constrict herself to a screen. But she retaliated saying it gives her father a sense of relief that she is safe from the prying eyes of danger.

Anirudh tried so hard to make her understand but she started avoiding the topic like plague, so he let her be. Her personal choices were something that he could not condemn of. He did not have any rights on her. He also wanted to respect the decisions she made.

They spent time walking beside the river, their innocent conversations about rabbits and cats & how cute they looked and felt. Anirudh told her about his time in London. Some interesting facts about technology which she was too fascinated to hear about. When Anirudh told her about the invention of telephone. She almost did not believe him.

But Anirudh told her that , he was indeed saying the truth. When he told her that he had 5 telephones in his home in Devipur, she insisted she wanted one for herself too. She took two half coconut shells and attached then both with a string. She proudly showed him her invention and forced him to talk with her via her coco phone. Anirudh laughed but gave in to her demand. He also praised her to hear her melodious laughter.

Anirudh smiled at her memory. His heart started beating faster. His soul felt peace.

But unfortunately he had to leave immediately to London after his mother's birthday.

He had longed for his family for so long and after meeting his mother almost 14 years, he broke down into sobs. His mother hugged him and cried in his chest. Anirudh's uncle also had tears in his eyes after seeing their heartfelt reunion.

His younger brothers Somnath and batuknath also cried. They hugged him so tight that he could not breathe. They truly missed their dada. Anirudh then went on to touch the feet of his uncle but he stopped him and hugged him instead.

How much Ram dev Singh Roy Chaudhary had yearned to see the face of his beloved eldest nephew, was an understatement. He prayed to durga ma for his well-being almost every day. He proudly told everyone at Devipur how his nephew would return to the village at take over his lands and title of bade Thakur.

He would then finally retire and start looking for a suitable bride for Anirudh. Thakur Ram dev Roy Chaudhary had dreamed of many sweets things for his nephew.

Anirudh held a big party for his mother in English style as per requested by his father, so that he could invite his British associates over. The ball room in the Roy Chaudhary Haveli were decorated with roses and lilies ; which were his mother's favorite flowers. Anirudh himself checked every single detail about the party and made sure everything was perfect.

Clad in a perfect three piece suit, his beard and moustache trimmed to perfection. He looked like a handsome Greek god. His large muscled bulging through his suit jacket, making all the ladies to go crazy. His sea green eyes shinned when he looked at his mother. His mother was fretting over how he would catch some evil nazar and put a dot of her kajal behind his ears. He smiled at her caring and compassionate nature; comparing her nature to that of the cursed girl. The cursed girl also believed in these customs, because it was all she was taught. She was also kind, caring and compassionate like his mother.

The cursed girl was indeed a Kohinoor caught up in the mud & dirt of patriarchy-al society and blind beliefs.

The party went on smoothly. Thakur Ram dev Singh Roy Chaudhary introduced Anirudh to every major land owner and big local business men. Whereas Anirudh's father industrialist Shyaam dev Singh Roy Chaudhary introduced him to all his British clients and high ranking officers.

Meanwhile Somnath and Batuknath were having a time of their lives. Both the younger Roy Chaudharys were in their teen age years and ogling and staring at women. Oh the sweet teen age when your hormones are at your peak and everything looks so bright and lively. But one glare and lecture from Anirudh about respecting women and diverting your attention on studies, was enough to stop their acts and leave them sulking for the rest of the party.

His mother was busy talking to the ladies of the village. Smiling and giggling elegantly. Some of the British wives would occasionally disturb her to congratulate her and she would reply them gracefully in English.

Shyaam dev made sure his wife was educated enough to talk in English to avoid embarrassment in front of his business clients. Ram dev was against this westernization of the graha laxmi of the house but he kept quiet, as this was the matter between the married couple. It was inappropriate for him to interfere in between.

Anirudh had a great time with his uncle, mother and siblings. But all good things must come to an end.

Anirudh's first year exams of law school were about to start thus, he could not risk his attendance. He was really serious about his education but was also sad about leaving his family, yet again.

Anirudh never returned to his land India until his degree completed. He passed with a gold medal in lawyer and barrister practice with a special honors in writing and poetry, in which he actively took part. His thoughts, words and debating skills are the top among his batch.

He also took part in the reformist movement in Birmingham city on England to protest against the action of war invasion in Asian countries. He wrote any articles for local newspapers, books and novels during his 2 year extended stay in London.

He achieved great appreciation for his exceptional work. He also got many awards and social security of the upper-class but he never forgot his roots. He always write letters to his family. He missed them a lot. His mother especially.

But there was one more person he missed and never forgot about. HIS ONLY FRIEND.

He understood that she would have grown up, and maybe she even forgot about him & their coco-talks. But he never over-passed their divine and innocent bond. He promised to himself that he would find her and reunite with her.

But the night he returned to India after 6 years, his mother died in front of his eyes. Life is never fair.