C-23

PRESENT (1801)

Ishumati entered the large thakur haveli not before taking off her sandals at the entrance and washing her feet. She also had a small bag that hung loosely around her shoulder.

She saw a huge wooden door with gold engraved at the middle with intricate designs and patterns on it. A huge garden on display which had a few mango, guava, hibiscus and jasmine trees. A fountain in between the white marble pathway between the main door and the garden door of the haveli.

She was nervous. Although she and the Roy Chaudharys shared a great bond due to bade Thakur's old friendship with her family, she had never been to their house before, but now experiencing the sheer grandeur of the Thakurs made her feel surreal. Her payal made chiming sounds whenever she would take a step ahead. Her saree would flutter from the wind that would gently caress her body and her naughty hair would break free from her braid and wave along the direction of the wind.

She stopped walking when she reached the main door of the haveli and knocked on it, which was surprisingly shut that day. She heard a faint noise from inside, probably telling her to wait for sometime, until they could reach and open the door. She shook her head and smiled. She turned to look at the garden once again. The trees were well maintained just a bit of grass which felt overgrown. She admired the fruits which were hanging on the branches inviting her to have a taste. She was kind of tempted to pluck one mango from the tree which was within reach according to her short height. The bright yellow mango never looked so amazing.

Her thoughts were broken when Bihari babu opened the door. She politely smiled at him and joined her hands in greeting. "Nomoshkaar", she said sweetly. Bihari instantly touched her feet and asked for her blessings quite shyly, "ashirvaad dijiye Ma, ki hamari patni ko beta ho."

Ishumati giggled," Durga Ma ne chaha toh swasth (healthy) santaan milegi aapko." She did not wish for a boy. Rather she simply prayed for a healthy baby. She was never one of those who would seek the birth of a baby boy. She was actually hurt with that mentality.

Her own grandmother when she was alive , always cursed Ishumati for being a woman. She always taunted that her birth was the cause of her mother's death. She even refused to eat the same meal cooked for her, once because she was mad at her for just existing.

Ishumati's own blood and flesh had hurt her, therefore she naturally became repulsed by the topic, but rather avoided it to talk about it in public. She did not have the confidence to.

Bihari babu smiled and let her inside. He did not think too much about her, not blessing for a boy in particular. He was happy to see her shubh (auspicious) presence in the haveli. Entering inside she saw, Thakur Ram dev Singh Roy Chaudhary busy with his accounts register with his munshi (accountant) standing in the corner. She smiled and moved forward to him. The sounds of anklets chiming in that mansion again. Ram dev almost thought Anirudh's mother came to complain about something, he smiled almost forgetting that she was long dead.

He raised his head up to greet his sister-in-law but to his dismay, did not find her. His smile faltered for a second remembering the pain of the relationship he lost, but quickly smiled again for the relationship he still had.

Honestly, Ishumati's presence in the haveli surprised him. She never came here before, even from his special insists. She always said that it was inappropriate for her to visit a place where she did not belong. And she was kind of right. But today her feet were on this land. What could be her reason to visit? he thought . Nonetheless he welcomed her, like his own child.

"Ishu beta, welcome. I was missing you since yesterday." Ram dev smiled at her, charmingly and got an equally sweet response. "Why would you miss me bade thakur, you can just call me. I'm at your service, just like a nice and dutiful daughter."