C-20

FLASHBACK

Large arrangement of sweets were sent from the das family to Taalabganj for the arrival of the unborn child. Huge fests and public seva and daan were made for the happiness and safety of Sumati and her baby. Whole Taalabganj was excited for the newest member and the entire nine months were passed with immense care but one soul had been broken beyond repair.

Ram dev was shattered again

His love bearing the child of another man was enraging, his mind was vexed. But his heart was at peace. He felt sad that his love was now someone else's but also happy that his love was safe and happy. Sumati was entering a life changing phase  at the tender age of 15 and Ram dev wanted to present her a gift of good luck for her motherhood.

He took private classes from a pot maker about the fine art of clay pot making and sculpting and made an idol of Durga ma for Sumati himself. 

Although the idea of the future heir of Roy Chaudhary fortunes learning to make pots, was scandalous. He was unbothered to risk his reputation for his love.

Ram dev understood that love was freeing. It did not bind oneself in shackles. Love is love. A feeling. And feelings could never be wrong. Feelings can never be labeled right or wrong or can be justified.

He went to Taalabganj some days after in his horse carriage. When he reached the Varma haveli, and was amazed to see the grandeur. The haveli was as big as the Roy Chaudhary haveli back in Devipur, engraved and craved with beautiful designs on the walls, with a surplus amount of servants frantically completing their tasks giving by their masters. 

He reached the main door of the  home and called out his childhood friend in a loud voice.

A very pregnant Sumati appeared before him walking with the support of a maid who was careful to walk slowly. His sudden appearance before her delivery due date was a surprise to her and she ran to greet him. 

Ram dev smiled at her and patted her head lovingly. Despite not having a huge age gap, Sumati was a short and petite young girl while ram dev was a raging 6 ft tall thakur.

The display of affection was not unnoticed by Sumati's mother in law who twisted her mouth in such a scandalous behavior but chose to remain silent. She would taunt Sumati later. Ram dev was well received by the wealthy Varmas. Their service was excellent and took care of every of his small needs.

Sumati and ram dev started talking and soon lost the track of time with their laughter. 

They rejoiced old memories and sumati praised her in-laws for how good they took care of her during the entire pregnancy. Ram dev was happy to see a smiling Sumati. His heart was blooming like a little bud in the morning dew. It was quite late and he had to return to devipur for some work, but his heart requested just a few more moments with her.

"abhi na jaao chor ke, ki dil abhi bhara nahi" his soul cried.

But he did not want to stay longer than what was seemed appropriate. Sumati's husband was also not present .He did not want to cause any scandals or drama in Sumati's house, so he asked for his leave. But before setting a foot outside the haveli he gifted the idol of Durga ma , he made himself.

Sumati was delighted to see his present and accepted it whole heartedly.  She cradeled it close to her heart. 

"Apka tohfa jaan se zyada sambhaal ke rakhungi, thakur ji. Kafi mehenga dikhta hai" she teased him.

" Tumhare saamne kuch bhi nahi hai, Sumati. Durga Ma kare, tumahra jeewan khushiyo se bhara ho" and laughted softly.

"Murti kisi karigar (artist) ne nahi banayi." she whispered. Her eyes held tears of joy. "It's rough edges show that it's handmade by a man with good intentions." and looked at him.