C-15

Present (1801)

It was the day after the funeral of Anirudh's mother and Ram dev Singh Roy Chaudhary decided they must hold a puja to pray for her soul to rest in peace. Also they would mix the ashes of Shubra to the holy river Ganga.

The haveli was bustling with the servants preparing for the puja. Some servants were doping daily chores like cooking, cleaning and washing, meanwhile others were preparing for the clothes which the Roy Chaudhary men would wear.

It is also a Hindu tradition that, after someone passes away all the men of the house would shave their heads to pay respect to the deceased and show that they were mourning. The heads would be shaved by a barber who would then dispose of the hair after the puja and rituals.

Today all the men in Thakur Roy Chaudhary haveli woke up early. More like they never even slept. The grief was strong enough to keep the peace of their hearts away. The servants delivered their traditional kurta pajama at their rooms. Anirudh got ready and stepped inside his study without even acknowledging anyone. While batuknath and Somnath dressed and sat on the breakfast dinner. Anirudh's father Shyaam dev was still inside his room, staring the picture of his beloved wife he made himself. But unlike all others, ram dev Roy Chaudhary was yelling at the servants to keep things moving. The house keeper, Koyeli was trying to keep up with his harsh attitude. She nearly shivered when ran dev yelled at a fellow servant for going inside the kitchen without washing their hands and feet.

Koyeli remembered how gentle and lenient Shubra was. She would talk softly to everyone in the house, forgave them at their mistakes and never made them feel like house staff. She made sure even the servants were fed and clothed properly before letting them start their day at work. But now everything seemed gloomy and changed.

Ram dev was trying hard to get things done as they were done before. But he was feeling cranky and irritated every second. How the hell did sister-in-law Shubra manage everything so calmly and efficiently? He thought while drinking glass of water. His throat was sore from all the shouting.

After some long minutes of more fussing and shouting, everything was ready. He ordered koyeli to call batuknath and Somnath downstairs, and himself went to call his brother Shyaam dev downstairs. Everyone ascended down and sat inside the vintage motor car which was imported from London especially for them by the British ministers.

"Where is Anirudh?" Shyaam dev mused.

"Anirudh babu is inside the study, Thakur Malik", koyeli replied meekly.

Ram dev sighed. They needed to be there in the temple before the muhoorat of the puja and Anirudh's condition was not helping. He went inside the haveli through the front door and turned right towards Anirudh's study. He was about to yank open the door when Anirudh emerged.

"I'm ready." Anirudh said curtly.

Ram dev looked at his nephew. Anirudh was clad in his three piece formals with shoes. He knew they were visiting temple today and they must wear traditional clothes, but he defied everything. He always did it. His anger tantrums and mute behavior was making his uncle uneasy.

"Okay. We have to reach the temple before muhoorat." And left Anirudh alone to follow him back to the car.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-====-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

They reached the temple after a long bumpy ride. Roads were still not cemented taking in feel that it was village area. Nobody said anything the entire journey, the tension in the air with a hint of awkwardness. Anirudh zoned out the entire time. He did not pay attention to his surroundings or his family members. His brain was still contemplating and overthinking.