Season 3, Episode 3: The Case of the Missing Lifeguard

Claire's POV

We are back at Hopper's cabin and, with Max's help, playing music on the radio. Max holds my hands as we dance around, her red hair moving like fire. I cannot stop the giggles that spring from my lips at her smile.

"You must be an angel,
I can see it in your eyes.
Full of wonder and surprise,"

I cannot help but watch her and let her dance, while holding my hands. She sings along to the lyrics and I do not think I have ever heard such a beautiful voice.

Max breaks eye contact with me and looks to Jane. Jane is sitting on her knees, looking through magazines. Max peaks at what she is looking at and lowers the music.

"Oh, you found Ralph Macchio." Max says, leading me to the bed.

"Macchio?" Jane asks.

"Yeah, he's the Karate Kid." Max explains, but Jane and I share a look of confusion, before turning back to Max.

Max shouts "Hai-yah!" and swings her arm down in a chopping motion, before we burst into little giggles.

"He's so hot, right?" Max says. "I bet he's an amazing kisser, too."

My chest tightens at Max's words, but I keep it hidden.

"Hey, uh." Max sits on the bed and looks to Jane. "Is Mike a good kisser?"

I wrinkle my nose in disgust as Jane says, "I don't know. He's my first boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend." Max corrects. Jane looks down, her smile dropping it's genuine emotion. "Hey, don't worry about it. Okay? He'll come crawling back to you in no time, begging for forgiveness. I guarantee you, him and Lucas are, like, totally wallowing in self-pity and misery right now."

I giggle and Max glances at me, before saying, "They're like, 'Oh, I hope they take us back.' "

We all laugh at Max's impression. Max sighs and says, "God, what I wouldn't give to see their stupid faces."

Jane and I share a look.

"What is it?" Max asks.

As Jane gets the equipment needed, I quickly explain to Max that Jane can enter a place we call the Void and see other people from super far away.

The radio static crackles as Jane puts a folded up shirt around her eyes.

"Is this really gonna work?" Max asks, sitting on the bed, in between my legs.

"Yes." I say, putting my chin on Max's right shoulder to see Jane as she nods.

"Holy shit, this is insane." Max says.

"Max." I remind her, wrapping my arms around her.

"Yeah, quiet." Max remembers, leaning back into me. "I'm sorry."

It takes a moment, but as the blood slowly starts to form around her nose, Jane says, "I see them."

"What are they doing?" Max asks.

"Eating." Jane responds. There is a pause, before she says, "They say we are 'species'."

"I am many species." I say, as Max asks, "What?"

"Emotion, not logic." Jane says.

"What!" Max asks again, angrier this time.

A couple of seconds later, Jane pulls off the shirt and looks at us.

"What happened?" I ask, concerned.

Jane just bursts into a fit of giggles. She falls to her side laughing as Max and I join in the laughing.