Chapter Four

Marshal's Pov

For some reason I can't stop thinking about how Keaton said that he pretends to be happier than what he truly is even if it hurts him. I'm not going to go as far as to feel sad for him but in a way I can kinda relate to that.

No I don't play happy, but I feel like maybe sometimes I play this ruthless jock character around my friends and I'm always picking fights with people and letting my friends pressure me into doing whatever drugs they can provide.

It's just not really me you know? I'm not saying I want to ditch the popular lifestyle or suddenly become more nice, but it would be nice to be able to express how I really feel sometimes.

The one thing I can be one hundred percent certain of is my disgust with the fact that I have to work with Keaton. Why does my math teacher have it out for me?

This Is the second time he's made us work together except last time it was just one worksheet in class. This time he has invaded my after school time too.

I don't understand why Keaton doesn't at least try to fit in more. It's not like it's hard to blend in here. Most boys just wear athletic clothes, maybe a pair of jeans and a v neck t shirt if you're not the athletic type. But Marshal wears girly shit.

I mean to be fair it's not like he's going around in a dress but he's started to look undeniably gay. I noticed his expression changed significantly this school year. Maybe he's going through an attention seeking phase.

Either way, it's distracting to dress that way. It might be confusing to some guys. This is why boys should just dress in normal boys clothes. Boys aren't meant to show off their appearance or their bodies. It sends the wrong message.

Unfortunately I have to work with the fucker again tonight. Not really looking forward to that. In class today he spent the whole day staring at his nails and picking away at the wood on his pencil. How are we supposed to make progress when his ass won't even pay attention to the lesson?

When I finally got to the library Keaton and I both jumped out of the car and stretched. On this day he wore a shirt slightly cropped, it was covered by a Hoodie he had pulled over his head all day but for some reason when we got out into the cold air he felt the need to take it off.

Maybe it was his intention to distract me with his stomach. I don't want to look at it, but it's hard not to when it's right there inches away from me. It's not extremely toned or anything. I'll admit he's got a bit of a belly but it's just the right amount of body fat and in all the right places. He probably knows he looks good and this is why he dresses like that.

We got inside, found a table and threw our bags down under it after removing our math papers. "Marshal, by any chance do you have a clue about how to do this?"

"Jesus dude. Maybe if you paid attention for once you would know. And for the last time... MY NAME IS MARS!"

"Ok Marshal, but just so you know, if you get to call me slurs I think it's only fair I get to call you Marshal."

I want to slap him across that overly confident face of his and show him how to behave. That at least sounds like more fun than doing math homework.

I might be on his case about not paying attention but I've realized that I spent so much time thinking about him that I've forgotten to pay attention as well. Welp, at least we have YouTube.

I shifted around in my seat as my butt began to get numb from sitting all day. "Here, just copy my answer for problem 8, I need to get up and go for a walk."

Keaton stared at me for a moment making me uncomfortable. "I know you hate me, but for some reason I think I can make you love me. My mom says I'm irresistible, so in theory by the end of the school year you should love me like your sister does."

I almost laughed at his sudden cockiness. "Bro, first of all. I'M NOT GAY! And you're certainly not going to turn me gay if that's what you have in mind."

Keaton furrowed his eyebrows. "I never thought you were gay what does that have to do with loving me... OH you thought I meant fall in love with me like as in to be in love with someone romantically. Eww no I'm definitely not interested in you like that no need to worry."

Ouch. For some reason that burned a little more than it should have. We both got up and left through the library's double doors. "Are you going to follow me around the block?"

"Well I'm not certain I'd like to be left alone in your car." Keaton stepped back and forth for a moment on his toes waiting for me to respond.

"Fine. Walk with me... but you better not do anything weird or talk to any strangers along the way."

It was a mostly quiet walk until we reached slightly past the halfway point. "Would you like a conversation Marshal?"

He had to be kidding me. Why in the actual fuck would I want a conversation with him? "No no and no."

For a moment he almost looked bummed and then he remembered to smile. I Hate that I now know he might not actually be happy. Not that I care if he's happy or not. I guess I'm just missing feeling mad at him for always smiling. For some reason now it just bothers me trying to figure out what he's really thinking.

"Did you know that ice hockey was invented about 140 years ago?" He looked over to me for a reaction.

"Why do you know that? I thought you had no interest in sports." Keaton smiled again. This time I think the smile might have been genuine.

"Well, I'm not entirely disinterested in the world of sports. For example I have a keen interest in tennis and figure skating. And I know you like hockey so I googled some things about hockey so we would have something to talk about."

"Figure skating hardly counts as a sport. But I guess I'll count it. But only because it's a side activity of mine. Don't you dare say a word about that at school or so help me God... you will regret it." Keatons eyes momentarily went wide and I figured I'd made a huge mistake telling him.

"You're an ice dancer? YOU?! Wow. I would have never guessed."

"Well stop thinking about it and forget I ever told you." Something told me that he wouldn't forget and that I was definitely already regretting having told him.

"You have to show me! Do you perform for people?"

Why did I have to open my stupid mouth. "NO definitely not. Lilliana has some videos somewhere, ask her. Just don't let anyone else see."

"Copy that."

We made our way back to the library and finished up the remainder of our homework in silence. This is the way I prefer it to stay.

I drove him home that evening and let him show himself to the door. His mom greeted him by the entrance and made an exaggerated attempt to wink at me. If only she knew that we hated each other as much as we did.