Prologue

Ugh winter. It's the worst time of the year and worst of all it's full of cloudy days. But when you're Keaton Weiss you walk around the halls singing "Tis the season to be jolly" with a big bright smile and a festive red beanie a-top your head. And if you're Marshal Yun your Christmas wish is to wipe that smile off the bastard's face. 

Who smiles this much when it's negative two degrees outside and the ground is covered in a foot of snow? The answer is Keaton, always, even when the day is hellfire for everyone else, because innocent Keaton never seems to mind much of anything. 

But while Keaton walks around humming his favorite festive tunes, Marshal walks around with his headphones shoved deep in his ears and not even an ounce of that same happiness. To him, everything is hellfire, especially when it's two below. Especially when Keaton smiles.

Things were always this way since the very beginning. It dates all the way back to third grade when Keaton met the lovely and beautiful Lilliana Yun, younger sister of Marshal by two years. Younger than Keaton by one. 

Marshal got stuck babysitting the little oddities when their parents set up a play date between the two. It was obvious their parents wished they would date. They practically planned their wedding together and it made Marshal gag. 

He couldn't imagine what their weird wedding would be like and he couldn't imagine anyone marrying his Autistic younger sister, not even the equally Autistic Keaton Weiss. Not over his dead body.

Though this fear didn't last long, nor did their parents' hopes and dreams because it quickly became apparent that Keaton had other interests than pretty girls. His parents could only pray that maybe he were just a late bloomer  and Marshal could only puke and the idea of being in the same room as the queer kid. 

And what made it worse was that Keaton never seed to mind the blatant discrimination shoved In his face by everyone around him. Then again as far as Marshal was concerned, Keaton was probably too dull to even realize people were talking about him. 

Marshal had always been effortlessly smart and he wasn't afraid to use it to his advantage especially against Keaton. But the main thing he was jealous that he'd never have was Keaton's drive and motivation to prove himself worthy. Unlike Keaton, Marshal had given up a long time ago, even though he was smart and seemingly had everything, Noone seemed to really care. 

The only thing anyone really seemed to notice about Marshal was his bad boy demeanor and his crazy hockey skills that seemed to drive the ladies wild. He didn't particularly like that attention, though he really didn't mind it either. Honestly, it fed his ego and that's what he really cared about.

It's hard not to notice either of the two boys walking down the halls at school, Keaton being 6'3" and very bright and bubbly and Marshal being the hottest leather clad bad boy of the senior class. They couldn't be more different if they tried and of that much they were both very aware. 

Everyone around them seemed to notice their rivalry but since neither of them had any real friends other than Lilliana nobody really seemed to care enough to tell Marshal to back off. 

There was this one time in third grade the moment Keaton realized how hated he was when Marshal tied his shoelaces together and laughed when he tripped and cried like some kind of maniac. "Idiot can't even fix his own shoelaces''. 

Keaton knew it then that he was truly different but he would never let Marshal know how much that truth really affected him. He was never one to let his sadness show on his face except when it did and he broke down. And then it really showed but he knew he could never let Marshal know it was because of him. He knew him knowing that would drive him wild, the sadistic fuck. 

Keaton may have been a tad nieve but he knew for a fact he wasn't stupid no matter what Marshal or the rest of his rat pack might have told him. 

Keaton was going to grow up to be the best damn defense lawyer around defending people with Autism, people just like him. And then maybe someone, anyone, would take him seriously. Just not Marshal, but damn if he wanted to prove anyone wrong it was Marshal.