11.

11.

tw: homophobia, slurs, mention of violence

Steve was in the break room of Family Video when Robin came barging into the store, yelling. "Steve! I have so much to tell you! Get out here, dingus!"

Steve rolled his eyes and walked out of the break room, leaning against the front counter. "What's with the yelling today, Buckley?"

"Shut up," Robin hit his arm lightly. "Listen! Guess what Nancy told me?"

Steve smiled, as he already knew what Nancy told her. But, he wasn't going to ruin her happiness. "What did she say to you? I didn't know you guys had even been talking."

"We're good friends now, Steve, keep up. She might've even replaced you," Robin teased, and Steve gasped dramatically, putting his hand on his chest.

"How dare you?" He joked, earning a scoff and eye roll from Robin.

"Okay, you've really got to listen now, dingus. Nancy told me she likes me!" Robin slammed her hands down on the counter excitedly, jumping up to sit on it.

"Robin, that's awesome! What did you tell her?" Steve was fully engaged in the conversation, eagerly waiting for Robin's response.

"I told her I liked her too, and we're going on a date on Friday!" Robin jumped off the counter and pulled Steve into a hug.

"I'm happy for you, Robs," Steve hugged her back, truly excited for his best friend.

"It's not going to be weird for you, is it?" Robin pulled away from their hug, a somewhat worried look on her face.

"Weird why? Because I used to be with Nancy?" Steve questioned, getting a small nod from Robin. "No, our stuff was dealt with. It's in the past, I'm really happy for you."

"Are you sure? You used to be in love with her," Robin pointed out.

"I'm aware, Robs," Steve laughed, shaking his head. "I'm not anymore. It's been a long time since I have been."

Robin nodded and pulled on her work vest, fixing her name tag. "Good, because I'm going out with her whether you like it or not."

Steve shook his head, a small smile on his face. His life would truly be bland without Robin around. She kept him on his toes, and her personality was one that couldn't be matched. Steve was very thankful that he met her while they worked at Scoops Ahoy.

"So what's going on with you and Eddie?" Robin jumped up on the counter to sit on it, again.

"Well, we're officially dating," Steve responded, he couldn't help but lightly blush at that statement. He was still in some sort of shock over it.

"Stevie! My little gay heart is so happy for you. There's a reason those failed dates didn't work out," Robin teased, messing up his hair.

"Not the hair, Robs!" Steve moved away from her, finding a nearby mirror and fixing his hair while Robin laughed in the background.

"Someone messed up precious Harrington's hair?" A familiar voice spoke, and Steve turned around to face Eddie.

"Of course you would walk in right after she messes up my hair," Steve complained, getting a laugh from Eddie.

"Relax, pretty boy. Your hair always looks perfect, whether you think so or not."

Steve rolled his eyes, his face turning a light red anyway from Eddie's compliment. He wanted to wrap both arms around him and kiss him, but he knew he couldn't in the store. Despite the fact that there were no customers, Steve thought it would be best just to be safe.

Out of the corner of his eye, Steve saw a group of cars pull up, with members of the basketball team getting out of them. Eddie noticed as well, and let out a deep sigh. "Fuck."

"What are those assholes doing here?" Steve felt his face get hot, grimacing at the teenagers that were about to enter the store.

"So the rumors are true, Harrington!" Jason spoke obnoxiously as they entered the store. Steve felt Eddie start to get uncomfortable, but Eddie stood his ground. "You've been hanging out with this freak."

"Watch it, Carver," Steve snapped, stepping away from the counter, moving towards Jason. "I won't hesitate to beat your ass like last time."

"Oh please. You're weak, Harrington. You throw punches like a girl," Jason sneered, earning a scoff from Robin.

"Yet I still knocked you out on your ass, so explain that to me," Steve crossed his arms, glaring at the boys of the basketball team.

"I still don't get why you're defending this queer. God knows he doesn't deserve it," Jason made his way towards Eddie, and Steve stepped in front of him.

"Back off," Steve spat at Jason, both of his hands turning into fists. He wanted to hit Jason so bad, but also wanted to keep some of his cool in front of Eddie.

"Or what, Harrington?" Jason taunted, a smirk on his face. "You going to fuck me just like you're fucking him?"

That sentence alone made Steve's face hot with rage. He wanted to beat the shit out of Jason right now, but didn't want Eddie to see that side of him. Eddie was watching, still uncomfortable, but not phased by what Jason was saying. He had gotten used to Jason's homophobic comments and bullying.

"Get out," Steve muttered, his eyes moving to the door and then back to Jason.

Jason rolled his eyes, nodding to the rest of the group. "Let's get out of here, guys. These faggots aren't worth our time."

Steve stood in place, right in front of Eddie, as the teenagers exited the store, before instantly turning around and facing Eddie. His face softened and he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry. I really don't get like that a lot."

"Hey, don't apologize. That whole thing, you getting in his face and getting ready to punch him? That was such a turn on," Eddie smirked, and that got a groan out of Robin.

"Get a room, guys," she complained, jumping off the counter and making her way into the break room.

"He's such an asshole," Steve sighed as he made his way behind the front counter again.

"He is. He's always been an asshole. I'm so used to it by now, it doesn't phase me," Eddie shrugged, and Steve's face fell into a frown.

"You shouldn't have to put up with that. I don't get why he needs to be a fucking bully," Steve glanced at Eddie, getting caught in his gaze. God, Steve could just melt from how Eddie was looking at him.

"He just gets upset because him calling me a freak doesn't get a rise out of me. I know I'm a little weird, but I don't give a fuck," Eddie tapped his fingertips on the counter, giving Steve a small smile.

Steve sighed and rested his elbow on the counter, his head resting in his hand. His eyes went from Eddie's eyes to his lips, before darting back to his eyes.

Eddie clearly noticed it, and got a playful look in his eyes. "We can do that later, sweetheart."

Steve could've collapsed right there at that very nickname, but instead just froze as his heart rate sped up. No one had ever made him feel the things that Eddie's made him feel. He just wanted to reach over the counter and slam Eddie's lips to his.

"I'll see you later, Harrington," Eddie winked and slowly turned around, leaving the store. Steve just watched as Eddie got into his van and drove away.

He couldn't wait for his shift to be over.

———————

a/n: sorry for the delay on the chapter! i fell asleep pretty early last night and didn't have the chapter finished quite yet. more of a filler but i hope you guys liked it!
chapter 12 coming soon!
- jj