Chapter 5

The next few hours were spent hearing the most painful thing Ellie had heard in a while. Joel wanted to pawn her off to his brother? Ellie thought they had finally really made a connection with one another. She felt that they had something almost like a family with everyone.

If he was going to treat her like that, then Ellie was going to make it easy for him. There was no way in hell she'd let herself be handed off like that. She had tricked herself into thinking they were family. This had been like a punch in the gut. More devastating to her young brain than anything in recent memory.

She reacted almost as soon as she realized what they were trying to do. They were going to stay the night so Maria and Tommy could have some more time together before the trip.

Seth and Ace were furious, Ellie could tell that much. She understood that they felt the need to mind their own business. They were coming with her either way, which brought her some comfort. At least she'd still have most of the group with her.

But the thought of being without Joel stung more than anything. They had grown together these past few months, they'd seen a season change and had some really serious discussions together.

And now he was just going to toss her onto someone else? She didn't care if it was Joel's brother — it wasn't Joel.

She slept through the night, but the second the sun started to rise she was up and on the move. She and (Y/N) were sleeping in the same room, and she did her best to stay silent. Ellie opened the door to the house slowly and carefully, and made sure there wasn't so much as a squeak when the door closed.

She could remember where the stables were, all she had to do was slip in and she'd be scott-free. It was still early morning, so the chances of her getting caught were lesser too. Ellie thought that she had gotten away scott-free, but was caught off guard when (Y/N) grabbed her wrist.

"Where are you going?" She asked sweetly. There was no judgment in her eyes, just concern and curiosity.

Ellie tried to jerk her wrist away, but when she slipped out, her friend grabbed her hand again. A sweetness in her hold that made it clear she wouldn't be letting go anytime soon.

"I'm leaving." Ellie announced.

"Alone?"

"Alone." Ellie echoed coldly and tried to turn away. "If Joel wants to get rid of me... then I'll just go first."

"Oh," she spoke so softly and squeezed Ellie's hand, "Then... Then I'll come, too. It's never good to go alone. You could get hurt."

"Why would you come? It's dangerous out there, you don't even have a gun." Ellie snapped.

For a second, (Y/N) hesitated and Ellie thought she had finally chased her off. Instead, she squeezed Ellie's hand tighter and smiled.

"Then I'll be counting on you! You and me, Ellie. We promised we'd be a team."

The look on Ellie's face hardened and then she sighed in disbelief, she really wouldn't be getting rid of her. "I guess it's you and me then."

Ellie didn't know exactly how they were going to get a horse now that she thought of it. The woman at the entrance of the stables was the same one who had offered them a ride before. She had an easygoing smile, and a look of unshakeable kindness in her eyes.

But what could they say to get her to loan them a horse?

"Oh, hey, it's you two!" The woman cheered and waved them over, "What brings you here so early in the morning?"

"Ah," (Y/N) started and then smiled tenderly. "Well, you see, I've never ridden a horse before, and apparently this whole trip is going to be done on horseback. I just wanted to get used to riding horses before we go."