Chapter Ten: Transition

I rarely told my problems to anyone, rather preferring to solve them by myself, but this one was getting too much for me. I looked at my brother, who was complaining of ‘NEPA wahala’, cutting the power supply because of some little rain and how there was always light in America even with a war going on. I wondered if he would be a trusty confidant, because I thought he might as well just have my solution.

    “Omo AB,” I started. “My mind just choke as I dey like this oh.”

“I for say na. The way I just dey destroy you for game just make me dey reason am” he chuckled. “Oya toh wetin sup you?”

    I told him my tangled love story up till that point, and when I had finished his eyes were wide open with surprise.

Baba guy, no be small drama oh. You no go like marry the both of them?” he asked, and I quickly rejected it. At least I was sure I was a one woman man.

He ran his fingers through an imaginary long beard, saying ‘hmmm’ at irregular intervals, the same way a Nigerian actor would have in a movie.

“As I dey reason am so bah, your love for Blessing na mirage, because you think say you love her, when na Gift you actually still love even till now. You just love Blessing because she be image of Gift, and she comfort you through your pain, come dey like suitable replacement even though your love for Blessing for dey strong as time dey go if say una for still dey together.” he counselled.

“Blessing loves Gift a lot, and she does not want to be the reason her twin hurts. She loves you too, and she has to sacrifice herself and let you go if she is to satisfy the both of you and avoid trouble. You should just go back to being best friends with Blessing, and it should be easier since she did not support your romance and you were more like best friends in love."

"All you should do is let her go, and go back to Gift, your first and true love. It will hurt, but you will soon forget her when your love for Gift resurfaces. You think it is dead, but it is not. It is only hidden there, pretending to be your love for Blessing. The fact that you and Blessing had been a thing will hurt, but rather don’t tell Gift about it. You will forget about Blessing quickly if Gift is a better lover than Blessing, and the love you think is dead will just grow again. Gift performance go sha fit spoil if you tell her wetin sup when she no dey, so no tell her say you and Blessing date."

“Good luck bro.” he said, patting my shoulder.

Needless to say I was impressed by his words and felt better.

AB where you learn love like this na?” I asked him.

“Omo na when I run am with one SS3 babe oh.”

I was shocked. AB was just in SS1. In my school he would have been punished by the SS3 boys for daring to look beyond his class, but the seniors in his school were obviously lenient. I asked him for the details of his own love story.

Omo guy e been no easy oh. I just notice the girl ni, and she been start to dey enter my eye. Her ass na wonderful something oh bros, and na my main motivation, if not I for give up. I been dey fear oh, especially as those her classmates start to dey show me ment but I later calm down start to dey rehearse as I go take run am and I prepare myself no be small. I even enter YouTube watch videos on how to win girl heart." he paused, and grinned at my surprised expression before continuing.

"The day wey I go meet her, I just bounce enter their class, but I no too raise head make e be like say them send me come meet her and I tell the girl say I go like talk to her after closing time. You know say na that kind self-confidence girls dey like na. When she show I just give her the best flows for head plus the ones wey I read for one website like that, and she talk say she go think about am. After like one week she come gree.”