Chapter Sixteen: So Far Away

Never in my life did I ever imagine that I would miss being able to walk, and yet I really did during the period I was confined to the wheelchair. Having to roll a wheelchair just to go to anywhere I wanted was nothing short of frustrating and I would have found life unbearable if not for the support of my loved ones around me, especially my dear Gift.
Each and every time I went to the doctor for check-ups, we always parted ways with him assuring me that I would soon be fine and that all I had to do was to eat protein foods high in calcium. My younger brother was very supportive in this aspect, and even though I assured him it was not his fault that I was in this condition, I knew that deep inside him he still felt guilty about leaving me, because I would probably never have been hit by the bike if he was with me, and he wanted to do almost anything to kill this guilt.

He used his own money to buy protein supplements and roasted meat for me, and I could not express how grateful I was to him. He was also the one with the responsibility of pushing my wheelchair around and ensuring I took my drugs, and we always laughed at how he bossed me simply because I was unable to walk. From my wheelchair I watched he and Blessing grow closer every day, and even though it was formerly a bet we had placed, I wanted him to win this one. Blessing had started tutoring him, and anytime I saw them together I always smiled at how good they looked together, my younger brother and my best friend. I hoped Blessing would love him too, even though she had never been one for love and she was older than my brother.

My parents had been very supportive too, praying and calling me a champion for my scholarship and escape from the accident. They also prevented Jemima from disturbing me and somehow managed to put up with her trouble. Every day my friends from school came to check up on me, but none of them were as constant as my twin friends who came around every day.

Gift did not ever let me doubt her love for me, because of how she came to my house every day, even in her condition. At times she offered to push me in the wheelchair and asked me to direct her since she could not see, but I did not want to put her through a lot of stress, so I always declined. She had once gotten emotional and asked me if I was afraid that she would topple us both over because of her blindness, but I promised her it was not the reason, and I finally let her do her wish.
There was this one thing she did that defined the strength of our relationship and proved the durability of our love. It was about a month after the accident, and I had healed comfortably enough a bit, though my rib and leg still hurt at times. That day she had asked Blessing to bring her to see me, but Blessing had been busy and so ended up bringing her in the afternoon. She also brought along her pink coloured guitar with her, although she had asked Blessing to help her carry it since she needed to use her walking stick on the way. It was on a weekday and my parents were not around, so she patiently waited for some time before pleading with me to let her push me into my room, telling me she had a surprise for me. Jemima had been watching the television, and Blessing was tutoring AB, so we left very quietly so as not to draw a lot of attention. We got to my room and I directed her to sit on the bed, and she adjusted the guitar's position in preparation to play it, telling me of a song she had wanted to sing specially for me.

    I watched her strum the guitar to an unfamiliar tune, and just before I could ask if she had written the song herself, she began to sing my version of Celine Dion's Because You Loved me, the very same one I had sung for her over the phone, with a little alteration.

   I'll be your strength when you are weak

   I'll be your voice when you cannot speak

   I am your legs since you can't walk

    I'll give the best I can from me

    I'll lift you up when you cannot reach

    I'll give you faith cause I believe