Onyx

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based on and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

"So, you found it?!" She nearly dropped the fork on the plate as the two of them sat on the rooftop patio overlooking the cityscape. They were concluding the last of the events surrounding her 22nd birthday. Lex had organized a week of celebrations for her. On her actual birthday weekend, he had flown her to National City so that she could spend it with her little brother and father. In addition, he threw a gala for her friends, leaving one exhausted but excited Tyla to relay her time to her mother. He wasn't sure how she was his personal assistant. It was two weeks of finalizing the trip and the brunch with her mother, on top of keeping his plans close to his chest until the opportune moment. Doing all that without any direction from Tyla as a surprise made him think that in the back of his mind, he didn't pay her enough. On top of the shopping day, the night out with her friends in Metropolis, and the spa booking, Lex was effectively tired. However, the look on her face brought him joy. He wondered if she had ever been spoiled like this before, then felt a small fear that he was overdoing it.

She had spent the day with the Kents and Xander for Lex to plan his proposal to be. However, upon returning and taking her to dinner, he needed the stone as an excuse. All Clark was able to say without grinning widely was that Lex had some business to attend to.

"Apparently, Jason Teague found it," Lex replied, slipping his fork along the edge of the carrot cake for a bite. "But it slipped from his grasp somehow."

"If you think your father, has it, security assured me that he hasn't left the grounds this entire month nor has he received any mail or visitors," she wondered, reading his mind "And clearly you would have told me if you ended up having it."

"It appears that employees who are loyal and perceptive are hard to find," Lex quipped, watching her play with her piece of cake.

The blonde smiled. "No, not unless you plan on dating them too," she kidded.

"Well, the one that I happen to be dating hasn't been working for the week so I needed to see if I can do my own crisis management. And I would like to remind you that you're a partner now."

"When this partner comes back, she'll help you manage it," she offered. "We can't have you losing stones left and right."

Lex looked up to see the waiter motion a signal to him. He gave a quick nod and then moved his chair so that he was next to her. "Happy birthday, Tyla," he whispered as he leaned in to kiss her. As if on cue, the booming and whistle of fireworks started to burst the sky in front of them. Tyla jumped and looked over, past the columns of skyscrapers, in the open clearing in front of them, fireworks of purple, red, blue, and yellow graced the sky.

Tyla gasped. "Did you....?" She looked back at Lex. "Baby, thank you. This has been the most perfect week." Tears of happiness started to form in her eyes. She leaned in and began to kiss Lex. Lex's phone chimed a text as she cuddled against him. The fireworks were subsiding, and the cake was left with just a few crumbs. Lex caressed her shoulder as he checked the text. His brows furrowed. The blonde felt the change and glanced over. "Everything okay?"

"I have to go to the plant," he grumbled. "I think Dr. Sinclair may have cleared up the problem." He didn't feel like dealing with work. As much as he wanted to check, he was with Tyla.