Endlessly

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based on and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Tyla raised her legs on the lounge chair out by the pool, typing away at the computer. She started looking over the files of LuthorCorp to implement a system so that the departments could work much more efficiently. She wasn't ready to commute to LuthorCorp, but she could still do a lot of work within the confines of the guesthouse. She wasn't sure what to say to her friends in Metropolis. One minute she was celebrating her birthday and then the next, she found herself hiding from Lex and then shacking up in the guesthouse because she was scared of the recommitment. There might have been a couple of doubts in her mind. Would Lex be able to protect her when she needed it? Would he be able to keep the ruthless persona of a business tyrant at bay with her?

Lex was the only person that she saw. Sometimes, she would appear in the study like she had before to conduct business with Lex. Other times, he had come to the guesthouse. It was an adjusted ease to be back in the normalcy of being coworkers. She knew that Lex would have wanted it differently, but he showed his gratitude with simple dinner dates or by presenting her with her own projects to manage.

Her current project was something that Lex knew would be of interest to her. It was research pertaining to stem cells and cancer. It was something that she held close to her heart as the reason why she had come to Smallville in the first place was to not have her mother be alone after the loss of her husband to lung cancer. Lex had given her samples and charts from an unknown test subject, one that couldn't be procured any longer. Thousands of papers were at her access as well. What the billionaire proposed to her was for her to see if there were any application that LuthorCorp could do before the research became public. Gleefully, she found many but didn't know where to start.

She buried herself into legal proceedings to see if any of the work would breach ethics when she heard her phone ring. The Miracle Angel blinked and turned to the glass sidetable. The caller ID indicated that it was Lex. She frowned and flipped her phone open. "This is Tyla Nevin speaking," she answered politely. There was silence on the other end. She frowned, taking a sip from her lemonade. "You know, I can't always be the one to make the first move." Whatever that may be. She turned her head towards the mansion, wondering if he could see her from the conservatory or if he was even there.

She could practically hear his smile at the other end of the phone. "What did I say about the first move?" He said, softly. "It has to be right." He gripped the wooden railings of the library from his study as there was more silence.

"Oh right, I forgot there's a Lex Luthor Standard," she teased as she put her computer to sleep. "Am I meeting you in the study?"

"No, I was just wondering if you've taken a further look at the drawings I showed you," he hated how fast she changed from a playful mode to a professional one with him. It tortured him to a certain extent, but he concluded it to be the price that he needed to pay. They shared few embraces and fewer intimate kisses. Their last was rudely interrupted by paparazzi. But to his relief, Tyla responded to the press that they were still going strong.

"I have," she tore him from his thoughts. "You think there's a hidden passageway behind the north wall?" She visited the Kawatche caves a couple of times. The first time it was to follow the drawings with Lex's notes. During that visit, she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand in attention. There was something mystical going on in those caves, something that seemed to be calling her and beckoning to speak with her. The second time was upon impulse in the dead of night. She sat in the middle of the caves, listening to the darkness before she found herself gravitating towards the north wall. She had barely touched the rocky surface when her skin hummed in attention. Startled by her body, she ran out of the cave.