Commitment

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Tyla was reading on the floor by the fireplace, soaking in the warmth when she heard the doors of the study slam shut. Her big brown eyes widened but she wasn't startled anymore. This was the usual reaction whenever Lex returned to see his father from prison. Why he kept subjecting himself to those visits was beyond her. She picked up her glass of Pinot Grigio and took a lasting gulp before she folded the corner of the page. She placed the book on the couch, away from flickering embers and then turned to watch Lex, standing in front of his desk. "I take it this visit was less than amicable this time?" She asked.

His fists were on the dark wood and his head hung low. He grunted in frustration before turning around to see her, making his way to the cart. "Everything he says and does is a thorn at my side," he uttered in a heated tone. He glanced at the open bottle of wine and then hesitated. Was this laced with poison? He eyed at the label. This was not here before.

She sighed as she got up. She grabbed her glass and handed it to Lex so he could drink the rest of the contents while she poured another glass from the opened bottle. Lex had let her take more control of the alcohol cabinet while he was still on the blood purifiers. There was one more month left before he was strong again, but the cart was always kept under Tyla's lock and key. She managed what came and left from his collection. She had even taken it upon herself to do the orders whenever she felt like it. "Whatever he said or did, he is only doing so because he's frustrated with you always being three steps ahead of him," she reassured him. "He's doing it more frequently since the trial has been dealt with."

She was right on that note. Lex had spent the past four hours being under a fine microscope. Two of those hours were attended to by the doctor going through his procedure. Afterwards, he endangered himself to seeing his father while he berated him on his recent decisions at LuthorCorp. If Lionel wasn't doing that, he targeted Lex's budding relationship with Tyla. To add, Lex had run by a countless of decisions with Tyla to change the predictability of his routine so that his father would be in the dark and never know when to strike. He knew Lex but not Tyla who became the root of the older Luthor's vexation. Lex leaned in for a kiss. "Even though it's over, it's all anyone talks about. I can't seem to get away," he grumbled. Even within the company, there were people wondering if the son was like the father.

"You can and you will. You're the king in this game and your father is realizing that the more he fights it, the more he is a the pawn instead of controlling the black pieces."

Lex smirked after he finished the glass of wine. "You think I am the king?"

Tyla rolled her eyes. "I think it would be more appropriate to call you the methodical usurper but yes, you will come out on top."

"I don't think I have..." he paused, watching Tyla blink and stare at him in confusion. "I mean someone else has done so the past-"

"Lex, that's not what I-" She knew what he was insinuating, referring to a couple of nights.

"I know," he placed his empty glass on the cart and skimmed his hand over her shoulder. He grazed his touch down to settle his hand to her side, squeezing it softly. "I'm taking an opportunity."

"Oh? And you think a sly remark with a gentle touch would get you what you want?" She looked up and playfully began to lace her fingers with his tie.

"I always get want I want."