Timeless

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based on and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

A scurry of back-and-forth banter was heard from outside the mansion. It was a happy sound, something that Lex was not used to hearing. Not since before he had a dog running around the premises. Despite all the paperwork that he had to do; curiosity was getting the better of him. He got up from the table and walked out from the conservatory. Across the pool, he watched as Tyla, and her mother laughed as Clark carried two large boxes behind them. Tyla jingled the keys to the guesthouse and opened the door, revealing her new humble abode. Lex looked away; another bout of guilt rose inside him.

Tyla had agreed to move in with him but on her terms. Now that his father had left, the guesthouse sat empty and ready for the blonde to be the next resident. Lex wanted nothing more than to have her in the mansion with him, but this was a second-best solution. Tyla wasn't ready to be under the same roof as him, that much was clear. The fact that her mother was there to check out the place meant that she didn't completely trust that her daughter was going to be in the right hands with Lex. Clark...well, Lex wasn't completely sure. He stared down at the crystalline waters of the pool as Clark approached him. The water felt like an ocean separating him from the Miracle Angel. He sighed in defeat.

"Tyla asked me to get orange juice," the teen said, embarrassed. It seemed like the blonde didn't want to come into the mansion at all.

Lex jerked his thumb towards the far end of the conservatory. "That door leads to the other side of the kitchen," he mumbled back, hating the polite pleasantries. He felt helpless while all this unfolded. As Clark moved past him, Lex added, "I appreciate you helping her, Clark. I admit I may have taken her for granted at LuthorCorp. It's been quite a mess without her." He wouldn't admit that he was feeling a little jealous of the teen. He got to spend time with her a lot more than he was granted. Lex was able to see her through sporadic simple dates and work-related meetings. Clark was able to see her during her off hours and whatever time she granted for him.

"Well, she's not like anyone else we've ever met," Clark confessed, looking back towards the guesthouse.

Lex narrowed his eyes at the young man. "Careful," he warned. "It almost sounds as if you regret something." He followed the teen's gaze as Tyla came out of the house to sit at the edge of the pool. "Don't think I haven't noticed that you two seem closer than before." 

Clark sighed. "Look Lex, I know you're trying. I can see that and so can she...otherwise, she wouldn't be here. So, I'm only saying this as a friend." He inched closer to the billionaire and Lex glanced back to him with a look of amusement at Clark's bravado. "I saw Tyla shattered. I've never seen her be like that and I know it wasn't you." Not completely. "But Tyla has come to mean a lot to me, like you. I know that she's slowly trusting you again." He reached up and placed a hand on Lex's shoulder. "But if she comes to me like that ever again, you might just not like what you see."

Lex huffed back a laugh, but he saw the teen's eyes grow dark with worry. "If I didn't know better, Clark, that sounds an awful lot like jealousy," he projected.

"I'm just looking out for a friend, just as I know you would do for me."

*****

The dark of the night fell quickly as it always did at the Mansion, but it was bothersome. He was used to Tyla's dulcet tones chiming in about the book she was currently reading or the small pleasures of music that she chose to play while they worked. No, that luxury was in another section of the property. Lex had to surrender to silence and the flickerings of the fireplace as he busied himself with proposals that Jason seemed to think were worthy of his attention.

"I realized that you have occupied my guesthouse again," Lionel Luthor stood facing him as Lex dropped the papers on his desk. He stood in his usual suit; hands held in front of him with a look of amusement that the beloved that Lex so confidently vowed for wasn't around.

"As I recall you left," Lex replied, matter-of-factly. He flipped the papers back into the folder and leaned back against his chair. "It's Tyla's now. She could do what she wishes."

"Is that what you tell yourself Lex?" He asked as his son sighed in frustration. "I noticed that she hasn't graced the halls of LuthorCorp in a while."

"She's on a leave," Lex defended.

"That's not very partner-like of her, leaving you to pick up the pieces." Lionel turned to look at the fire's flames. He didn't approve of Lex giving her shares to become partner. It meant that he couldn't tiptoe around the plaza as much as he did before. What with the two of them making up more than 70% of the controlling interest and Tyla's sole interest to not work at all with the older Luthor, tricks were not in the cards. Upon Lex's announcement, the Miracle Angel had still not shown her face. Was she simply a silent partner? Or perhaps there was trouble in the paradise that Lex kept assuring not only his father but the world.

"It's what you did to me, Dad," Lex blurted. "She's welcomed to come back. I trust her but that isn't something you're capable of understanding. I'm sure of that." It was already set that she was going to work from the safety of the guesthouse for the time being. He trusted her limits and he respected her boundaries, but she taught him that, not the man that stood before him. "I can't talk now."

"Well, we better talk," Lionel demanded. "Genevieve Teague thinks you have the missing element. The one from China."

Lex looked guilty as he folded his hands together. However, "Come on, Dad. You've raised me to be smarter than that." He honestly wished he had it in his possession.

"Does she?" Lionel asked. He wouldn't put it past Lex to give it to the Miracle Angel, for either safekeeping or to prove to her that he was serious.

"I doubt it but that I don't know," he replied, honestly. "Why are you using Genevieve Teague as a threat? Why not just come out and ask for it yourself?"

"I'm here as a father who's concerned about the safety of his son." To Lionel's disappointment, Lex looked away from the sentiment. "She had Bridgette Crosby murdered because of one of those elements. Do you think she wouldn't hesitate to do the same to Tyla? You don't think that she would go after her to get to you?"

Lex drummed his thumbs on the desk and shrugged. "She's a lot more capable than you think. She can handle herself which you're underestimating right now," he stated. He had underestimated her a couple of times already. He wouldn't be surprised if the woman still kept a gun under her pillow. "Regardless, neither of us have it. If one of us did, I don't think we would trust you with that information." He grabbed the folder and left his desk.

"Lex," his father stopped him. "We haven't a lot of time left to spend together. You can go on for the rest of your life being mistrustful of me. Or you can accept me as your father who loves you." Lex pretended to ponder over the fact but still sauntered over towards the doors of his study. "Lex, she's dangerous. She's...Watch your back, son."

"I always do." He left the words to last between them as he walked out. Perhaps holding Jason Teague hostage wouldn't be enough but if that old crone took one threatening step towards Tyla, he wouldn't hesitate to return the favor twofold onto her son. He had just got her to come back, he wouldn't risk losing her again.