Studio Nightmares

When Charlotte opened her eyes, all she could see was black. Is this what death feels like, Charlotte wondered. No, she couldn't be dead, but when she looked down to face her hands, they weren't there. The room was cold. Was it even a room? Was she outside? The ground and sky practically moulded together through the inky black darkness. The air around her felt like nothing. Charlotte could feel her legs moving, marching her forward, though, at the same time, it was as if she wasn't going anywhere. It was a strange feeling, and the girl almost believed this was the path to the afterlife until she fell. It was impossible to see her surroundings; Charlotte didn't notice a hole in the ground. She could feel the wind rushing across her face, flowing through her hair as the young woman fell down the seemingly endless void. It felt like ages before a dim yellow light glistened at the end of the pit, growing larger the closer she got, until crashing through the opening, landing face-first into the hardwood floor below.

Charlotte groaned as she pushed herself to stand up, surprised that it wasn't painful, and rubbed her eyes from the sudden harsh light. Where was she? Is any of this real? The girl attempted to recall what had happened previously, but her mind was empty, like a blank canvas. Once her eyes adjusted to the light, Charlotte took the time to observe her surroundings. She seemed to have landed in a part of the animation studio, and despite her partially recovered memory, it was unfamiliar to her. Show posters covered the walls of the room, all of which she remembered: Sheep Songs, Demonic Tonic, Hell's Kitchen, Sent From Above, and many others. The room was bare: loose papers scattered across the floor, deep scratches etched into the floorboards, almost as if someone had rushed to pack up and leave. To Charlotte's surprise, there was no ink in sight, though the room appeared several years old. She kneeled at one of the yellow-stained papers and picked it up, flipping it over to see a frame of a Bendy cartoon. All the frames she carried were different background sceneries of places familiar to her. The young woman recognized the Ink Machine room, her father's work desk, and the big tree behind the studio.

"Are these all my memories?" Charlotte asked aloud. She scratched her head thoughtfully. If this was another treasure hunt to get her memories, she was in no mood for it.

"You were always too smart for your own good, kiddo."

The young woman jumped slightly when a male voice spoke loudly behind her. She could feel her eyes line with tears, one threatening to fall, at the realization of who was behind her. Allowing a single tear to flow down her cheek, Charlotte fidgeted with her hands as she slowly turned around to face her father. Although he looked noticeably older: with small eyes, a wrinkly face, and greying hair, Charlotte couldn't contain her overwhelming joy as she jumped into his open arms.

"I can't believe it's you," she cried, more tears streaming down her face, "I miss you so much."

"I know," her father muttered, hugging back. He frowned, "Unfortunately, I am not real. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope you know that."

Charlotte dug her face deeper into Henry's chest. She stayed silent, enjoying the moment, holding her father close. She knows what he says is true, as much as she wants to deny it. The real Henry's dead, but perhaps he can be useful to her.

"Do you know where we are?" Charlotte asked, letting go, "I was with three people before, but I blacked out and ended up here. Am I dead?"

Henry chuckled and shook his head.

"No, you are not dead, thank goodness. As for a way out of here, that's a bit tricky. The true devilish soul of the Ink Demon lies around here; it's dangerous. Once it realizes you're here, it'll stop at nothing to destroy you."

"That's actually who I've been looking for this whole time. I believe he's the key to getting back all my memories."

"This isn't who you're looking for, trust me. This monster is nothing like the Demon roaming the studio out there. It has no heart, shows no mercy on those who end up in this place."

Charlotte huffed, pulling at the leather handle of her bag anxiously. If this monster is how Henry describes it, then she'll have to avoid it at all costs for any chance of waking up. She just hoped Allison, Sammy, and Tom was okay, as well as her body.

Back in his dark lair, Bendy sat at his throne, comprised of Joey Drew's old office chair, a mountain of gears, and surrounded by rusty projectors aiming at the several screens hung on the walls. Holding close the key to his demise, Bendy couldn't help but watch the repeating clips from his old cartoons. He missed his old life back when the studio was running; at some points, he'd blame himself for the downfall and forever losing his best friend. The Demon growled at the thought. No! He banged his fist on the armrest. That wasn't my fault! It was Joey's, he lied to me, and he lied to Henry, and they both took her and my life away from me. He could feel the ink on his body become glossy, running down his head over his neverending smile. The second that Impostor arrives, I'm going to tear her apart! Bendy relaxed back into his throne, his smile staring ahead at the entrance to his room, although his face was anything but welcoming.

"You never answered me before," Charlotte said, looking up at her father, "Where are we? What is this place?"

Henry stuttered, looking for an answer, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well," he started, still searching for the right words, "Imagine a reel of film, and you play that film for someone to watch. They watch it and love it so much they rewind it and do it all over again. That film? It's this place. Who's watching? I haven't got a clue. But this place would be a real nightmare for you if I didn't find you. I may not be your real father, but I've been here for a long time. I know this place like the back of my hand."

He placed his hand on Charlotte's shoulder in reassurance. "I'll keep you safe. I promise."

A loud, demonic roar echoed through the halls, almost as if scripted by Henry's words, lights flickering in and out while whispers flooded the studio. Charlotte jumped back, hiding behind Henry, who seemed unphased by the surrounding nightmares. The man held the girl's hand as he guided her through the maze he practically called home. The walls grew darker as they went along, and he knew the Ink Demon was near; he could sense their presence, Charlotte's, to be exact. So long as the pair kept quiet, no one would find them.

"Where are you taking me exactly?" Charlotte whispered from behind, "Is this how I get back to the real studio?"

"I'm positive this will send you back," Henry replied confidently, "We're on our way to the Ink Demon's lair. Something important lies there; it will make everything back to the way it was. The cycle will reset, and your soul will return to your body."

"This whole cycle thing is confusing to me. That's where Sammy, Allison, Tom, and I are going: Bendy's lair. I saw the machine, passed out, and now I'm here."

"This place runs parallel to the outside world, although time doesn't pass here. It seems to be a place dedicated to trapping souls here. To be tortured by this studio and its demonic cartoon for eternity. I don't understand it completely myself. I'm just like any other soul."

Suddenly, Charlotte started to cough and fell to her knees, covering her mouth. Henry bent down beside her, noticing bits of ink seeping through her fingers. He clenched his teeth, gasping silently through them. He knew the girl needed to get out of there and fast.

Her soul was becoming corrupted.