6

Griffin was always a b***h to me.
When I first got in here, she would call me names like h*e, b***h, and everything else except for a child of GOD. Some days, I'd cry and others, I figured "what's the use?" She'd only see that she's breaking me and would only continue to kick me while I'm down.

I reached the day room and took a seat by the T.V. I would often come in here just to glance at the television. Never really paid attention to what's on it, but just the idea of having a t.v was good enough for me. It was the small things in here, that could make you feel human, if only for a brief second. Officer Mitch walked over to me.

"Hey, Dee. How was visitation?"

"It was okay." I replied without giving him eye contact. I never gave them eye contact. Looking at them made you feel small, almost worthless.

"I'm sure your mom is ready for you to be home. Just keep faith." He said while tapping my shoulder.

Officer Mitch is always nice. Very spiritual guy. He carries bible verses in his pockets and is the only one who respects us as humans. I was too afraid to appreciate it. I always feel like he wants something. Given my history, this is my best bet.

He walked off as another officer was walking in.

I sat in the day room for a little bit, then as usual my back started aching, it was time for a nap and a snack, which in here was usually noodles, snack cakes or chips. Man, how I'd give anything for a fresh salmon burger from Poralia's.

I got back to my cell and Rayna was there alone.
"Where's Papi?" I asked

She looked at me with a devious smile, "I put her to sleep."

I shook my head and didn't entertain her. I laid down and started to doze off.