37

I looked on in disbelief, fear and shock. I can't really trust people. He was crying, crying real tears and I hesitantly leaned in to hug him. He hugged me tightly, so tight that I could tell he was needing to be hugged. I was comfortable in his arms.

He released me and stepped back, wiping tears from his eyes that were now red. I broke eye contact and slightly looked down.

"You don't have to feel bad for me, Deysire. I'm blessed to be here and I know that I'm here for a reason."

"And I'm that reason?" I asked.

"Yes. I know it sounds crazy and I know you have no reason to trust me. Just keep yourself away from all of this craziness."

"How do I know you're for me?"

"Because I'm not asking you for anything other than to stay safe. Just give me some time and if it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get you out of here."

I was speechless. I had nothing to say, all of this came as a surprise. He pulled the cuffs out and apologized to me for having to put them on me. He walked me back down to my cell and asked to see me again soon, I told him yes because I honestly didn't feel as if the choice was mine.

Once he was gone, I laid down and thought about what he'd told me. I started to feel like this was no accident or coincident. Two victims of the same monster ended up in the same hell hole but I wondered, was I put here for Mitch to save me or was I supposed to save him? None of it made sense, but in all fairness it never has.

The scars on him were so deep. Tears began to fall from my eyes. Mitch and I were so much alike and I couldn't see it and maybe it's because I've never felt human against any of the guards.