7

I was sleeping comfortably and was awakened by the smell of Rayna's ramen soup burritos. I wouldn't have guessed a year ago that I would be enjoying let alone feeding pregnancy cravings with prison cuisine. Funny how life works.

"You're up just in time, girl." Rayna said

"I could smell you mixing it up over here."

Rayna handed me a burrito consisting of Ramen, Doritos, beef jerky, cheese sauce and dill pickles. I remember when I was first offered one, the sight of it made me barf. Now, I crave them and Rayna makes sure that I have them. We enjoyed our burritos and talked and shared a few laughs. I share things with Rayna, she understands me.

The next day I was awakened by the sounds of screaming guards, assembling us to do first count of the day. It was 5a.m.

We lined up to go to breakfast, I rarely eat the breakfast. The oatmeal tastes like cardboard and mucus. I hate coming here but the fruit, helps with queasiness. Rayna wasn't at breakfast. I figure her and Papi are having their morning bathroom "meeting."

"What's up?" A female said to me.

"Me?" I questioned

"Yes, you. I couldn't help but notice the belly. You're so tiny, how far along are you?"

"Six months."

"Nice. I'm Ja'Zaye by the way."

"I'm Deysire."

"Deysire? That's beautiful."

"Thank you."

"Girl, you don't have to be shy, I'm not going to hurt you. If you need anything, don't hesitate, I'm in Dorm C."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you."

She walked away and sat with a group of other women, who seems to be normal, but what is normal? Is it even a such thing? I hate to not accept others but my trust is broken and I can't be betrayed again.

Breakfast was over and it was time to go back to our dorms. I went back to my cell to get some relief from that walk down to the cafeteria. I eventually dozed off.

"Inmate! Inmate." Called Griffin.

I stood up. "Yes ma'am?"

"Let's go. Your counselor wants to see you."

My heart dropped to my stomach. There could be a number of reasons why the counselor would call us but in the moment of panicking, I couldn't think of one good one. I was scared and completely uncomfortable walking the halls alone with Griffin. We reached the counselor's office and walked inside.

"Washington, have a seat." He said.

"What's this about?" I nervously questioned.

"Well, looks like you have a hearing this morning that was just ordered."

"By who? For what? My sentencing is in 40 days."

"You'll find out when you get there." He released me to Mitch and Griffin and they escorted me to the courthouse. I was taken to a small cell.

I grew nervous and afraid. I started rubbing my belly.

"You doing alright in there?" Mitch asked.

"Yeah, just confused as to why I'm here."

"I know, just stay calm. I don't wanna have to deliver the little one today." He joked.

I forced a smile. I sat thinking of a million things that would bring me here. "Am I getting life?" That one kept beating at me. Finally, it was my turn. I was fiddling my fingers while my hands were cuffed behind me. I walked into the courtroom and was shocked to see Keith standing there.

The judge entered the room.
My mind was racing. My thoughts were scrambled.

All I remember hearing is custody case. I lost it. This bastard is trying to revoke my mother's rights to my daughter.