17

I don't know what to think. We stood in awkward silence.

"I know it sounds crazy and you're probably wondering why I'm still  in here, huh?"

"Tuh, yeah!" I replied

"I was facing life and my attorney got me 13 months."

"How?"

She smiled, "Just trust me. You don't have to give me an answer today, just think about it."

She gave me a smile and tapped my shoulder.
"Alright, Deysire. I got to get this mile in." She said before starting to run around the track.

I headed back inside. I was feeling a little awkward and now, I just want to talk to my mom. I went to the phone and decided to call. It's Sunday so I'm sure  she's home, cooking Sunday dinner.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mom."

"Well hey there my sweet baby."

"How are you?"

"I'm blessed and highly favored. Mmm, baby GOD IS SO GOOD." She exclaimed.

I let out a laugh "I take it church was good today."

"Oh, baby it was right on time."

"Mom, I'm sorry I haven't called. I've just been"

"You don't have to tell me. Only thing that matters is that you are okay."

"I got your letters."

"I am sending you pictures first thing in the morning."

The alarm sounded off. Officers started running to the yard. The phone disconnected.

"GET DOWN, INMATES! The guard yelled.

I dropped the phone and quickly fell to the floor

"Officer down, 999" I heard over the radio.

We stayed down for maybe 30 minutes before we were able to get up. From what I was able to hear from the conversation that the guards were having is an officer was stabbed in forbidden hall. No inmates are allowed in this hall because there are no cameras and rumor has it that it's where the guards take inmates to have sex with them. I didn't hear who the officer was.

The girls were walking back in from yard time and I took a look over, I could see Ja'Zaye. She gave me a nod and opened her mouth to reveal a blade to me. I stood staring.

"GO, INMATE." An office shouted right before shoving me.

We were placed on immediate lockdown. I didn't say much when Rayna and I got to the cell.

"What's up with you, cry baby?"

"Nothing." I was too afraid to tell her about the blade. I know that in prison, rats are often stomped.

She came over and sat beside me.
"That b***h finally got it."

"What are you talking about, Rayna?"

"I did it! I feel such a rush."

"Did what, Rayna?"

"I st*bbed Griffin."

"YOU DID WHAT?" I shouted

"Lower your voice."

"Rayna, what have you done?"

"I got her."

"Rayna they're going to find out it was you."

"No they won't."

"Fingerprints, Rayna! Use your head."

"That could work, but there's no blade."

I threw my head back, feeling rushed with emotions. I was mad, scared, shocked and annoyed. Did Rayna really just k*ll Griffin?