26

The whole walk down to laundry was nerve wrecking. I could feel my legs trembling, as I gulped really hard, almost as if I were swallowing my pride. We made it to the laundry room and I could see a group of girls. We made our way over to the hurdle and there was a girl who was surrounded by the mob of women, she looked scared. There was blood coming from her mouth, I gasped.

"What is this?" I questioned.

"Deysire, this is your task. You see, Jade likes to steal. Isn't that right, Jade?"

"But, Ja'Zaye I..." She whimpered.

"I said isn't that right, Jade?"

"Yes." she cried.

I was nervous
"What do you mean my task, Ja'Zaye?"

"Teach her a lesson." she demanded.

"What lesson?"

"I don't know, I guess a good one. One that's worth, I don't know, freedom?"

"But, I.."

"But what? You're no longer interested in going to take care of your daughter?"

"Yes, but look at her she's hurt." I stated as I observed Jade holding her side in obvious pain.

"Fine, forget it." Ja'Zaye said.
She gave a signal to a female standing off to the side who was holding a knife.

"I guess you blew your chance."

As they started moving in on Jade, I realized this was my only chance of hope. I don't know her and this whole prison life is a game of survival. I mean, that's kind of why she steals, right?

"I'll do it." I said softly.

The ladies looked at me, all shocked at my instant change of heart.

"What was that?" Ja'Zaye asked.

"I said I'll do it."

I walked over to Jade, in fear but only now, I had my poker face on. My Uncle Robert used to always say "wear your poker face like it's your favorite item of clothing, you gotta look like you mean it.". They couldn't see my fear. I'm sure if they could, I'd have been where Jade is.

"Get up, b**ch!" I demanded pulling her up.
They're watching me. I'm just as scared as Jade.

"You like to steal, huh?"

"Please, please don't hurt me." She begged.

I took my knee and shoved it in her stomach, she slouched over while holding her stomach in pain as she cried. I know that it was wrong, but it feels good. There was so much anger built up inside of me, and I was finally releasing it. I blacked out. I don't remember much from the moment. I snapped back as Ja'Zaye slapped me.

"That's enough!" She said

I looked over to Jade, who was laying still. Almost lifeless. There was blood everywhere and I was covered in it. I could hear the whispers of the onlooking women.

"Clean her up!" Ja'Zaye instructed Tatianna and Shay. They were like her bodyguards.

"Everyone out!" Tatianna yelled.

Some stood in shock.

"GET THE F**K OUT!" Shay demanded

Ja'Zaye pulled me to the side

"We have to get you out of these clothes." Ja'Zaye instructed while unbuttoning my jumpsuit.

"Okay. Okay." I agreed as tears rolled down my face.