Annabeth: One Stands Up For The Other

Chapter Fourteen

Kat and I have always been super close. I suppose that's what happens when you're a single mom having to raise a daughter. We never argue because we agree on everything. She takes after me in so many ways, it doesn't seem possible.

Today, Kat sat in the back seat of my car in silence. She never does. I cannot tell you what is wrong with her like I usually can. Whenever I tried to start a conversation with her, she just gave me short answers like "fine" and "okay".

She is five, so why is she acting like a fifteen year old. I don't get it. She loves to talk to me about everything that happens in her life.

When we get home, she immediately runs to her room and closes the door behind her.

Kat stay in her room all afternoon until around five thirty when I walk in to tell her that it's time for dinner.

"Kat baby, it's dinner time," I say pushing her door open slightly. I see her laying face down on her bed.

"I'm not hungry right now mom, leave me alone," She states.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing the matter just leave me alone."

This same thing happens every day for the next few weeks. It's now one week before Christmas break and I am starting to get concerned for Kat now. She never talks to me anymore even though we've always been comfortable sharing everything with each other, which is making me think something is happening at school somehow.

Today after I pick her up we go through the same routine of me taking us home, her running to her room to cry, me making dinner, her coming out just to pick at it once I've already finished, me asking her if she wants to talk, her not talking.

A few minutes after dinner, I get a call from Kat's school.

"Hello?" I ask picking up.

"Hi, is this Beth Chase-Grace?" The lady on the other end of the phone says.

"This is she."

"Hi Beth, this is Mrs. Johnsone, Katniss' teacher. I have called you to talk about your daughter."

"Okay continue on please," I say.

"So today I was on supervision outside and I noticed a couple of girls in one of the other kindergarten classes bullying Kat. They were saying horrible things to her such as calling her fat and ugly."

"Oh no," I interject.

"Yes. I sent them to the principal's office where each of the three girls got interrogated, along with Kat, separately. The other girls admitted to the bullying and they have a bit of detention."

"Okay thank you, I will go talk to Kat now," I say, about to leave the call.

"Has there been some problems at home regarding the bullying?" The teacher asked.

"Yeah she goes to her room the second we get home and ignores me for the rest of the night. The next morning is a little better because she talks to me but, it's always about how she doesn't want to go to school that day."

"Hmm I see. That's pretty normal for kids being bullied. Oh! I almost forgot to mention that there was a really nice little girl that helped her and stand up for her this morning."
Mrs. Johnsone continues.

"Oh? That's so nice who was it?"

"Amber Jackson was her name, miss."