CHAPTER 24

In the meantime, the rest of the army led by Thorin had a couple of sporadic encounters with the small groups of goblins they accidentally stumbled upon. The sounds of the battle could be heard in the distance, forcing them to go through these cave labyrinths even more cautiously. A couple of horrific screams suddenly erupted from the back. The confusion which ensued, made Thorin turn around.

"Keep quiet, help the injured ones." he growled angrily, approaching the place of the accident.

But no one moved. Surrounding soldiers stood motionless. Cursing them, Thorin pushed through, not prepared for this bone chilling sight, quite difficult to look at. A huge, steel trap, filled with spikes and blades, which unfortunate soldiers somehow activated, pinned them with great force onto the wall of the cave. Two of the soldiers died instantly, as the spikes went clean through them. But the three of them still gave some signs of life. With their impaled torsos and limbs, it was just a matter of time before they'll join their dead combatants. They were loosing too much blood.

"Take them off this forsaken contraption." Thorin mumbled, swallowing the spit "And watch out where you step from now on."

Soon enough, they continued with their journey through these dangerous caves. In front of them appeared a quite wide, but somewhat low cavern. Several streams of water flowing from the cracks in the walls formed the underground lake. The lake was still, cold and dark, disappearing into a tunnel, on the other side of the cavern. The slow, but steady current meant there was probably a way out.

"We'll have to go through the water." Thorin said, as Gelian and Yelamir approached to check out the reason for the hold up.

"All of my men are in heavy armor." paladin said.

"I think the passage is just a few dozen yards long." Gelian scratched his head "I think it's worth a try."

"I have no intentions of turning back." Thorin said "But I won't stop anyone who wants to go and try to find a new route."

"Good luck captain." Yelamir nodded, turning away towards his soldiers "We are going back lads. We need to find us a new tunnel."

Thorin watched as the Issurk army disappeared behind the bend, where they were joined by the small group of Gollvin soldiers. He looked at his men. They would follow him to the end of the world, if they had to. Captain Lutir knew that very well, as he let a barely visible smile escape from his serious face. A few seconds later, he was stepping into the cold water of the underground lake.