CHAPTER 44

Followed by a rather large entourage, Eilonna Falkner arrived at the foot of Tvayas hills around noon. Here, a long time ago, occurred the decisive battle for the survival of all the humans in Tanmar. It certainly turned out to be their finest hour, and undoubtedly their greatest victory. And it was the place of remembrance, for many years to come. It was a hallowed ground, for all of those who were there. But, those days were long gone, and somewhat forgotten.

Standing underneath the monument of the fallen soldiers, Eilonna looked upon the old military burial grounds. It certainly saw the better days, much like the statue. Overgrown in wild weed, moss and roots, it sure looked abandoned for a very long time.

Hundred yards away, out of the small grove, a cloaked figure waved towards the councilor. this short signal, was a clear sign for Eilonna to approach alone. Without saying a single word, the figure led councilor Falkner inside the small, concealed cave.

"Is everything set, Vlaazh?" Eilonna was impatient to ask, as soon as they entered the cave.

"Straight to business, eh?"

"Current events are demanding that out of me." She said seriously "Couple of days ago, I was attacked by some bandits. And it certainly had a feel, of something more, than a simple robbery."

"In that case, do you wish to postpone our little errand?" Vlaazh asked, "At least until we found out more about that unpleasant ordeal."

"No! I want it done, and I want it done tonight." Eilonna said.

"That gives me no time at all." the cloaked figure answered, "We still need to make contact with the halfling."

"I'm sure, you'll manage just fine." Eilonna nodded "And because of the last minute change of plans, I'm willing to pay you double."

Vlaazh involuntarily jerked his head, at a mere mention of getting a better pay, thus revealing half of his smooth face. Despite being hidden under the hood, his eyes glowed in bright, yellow flash, surprising councilor Falkner. And it certainly grabbed her interest. What was that? What was he? Before she knew it, Eilonna was staring at him, trying to peek under the hood.

"I am sorry." she said, realizing what she was doing.

"I thought you, of all people, would respect our privacy."

"I must apologize, but I couldn't help myself. You are the first of your kind, first vard, I ever met." Eilonna looked down, "It won't happen again."

"I know, I promised to tell you everything about us, the old ones. And I will, one day. Soon." Vlaazh said "But we need to remain careful. For now is not the time to do so. We are but a few, and still deciding who to call our friends, and who our enemies."

"Some of these enemies we need to get rid of now." Councilor Falkner was quick in her response "Is tonight agreeable?"

"Bring the rest of what you owe, here, tomorrow." vard said turning away to the exit "It will be done, Lady Falkner."

Councilor Falkner knew Vlaazh intentionally addressed her by her possible future title, well assured in the success of the task ahead. And not without a reason. From what Eilonna managed to find out about them, vards had a very dangerous, lethal reputation. She sure couldn't wait to replace her current title, but still, anything could happen. In a moment, it could all go wrong. She will enjoy it, once that damned council of Vallsynk is removed. And removed for good. Eilonna climbed her horse, pleased that the meeting went quite well. But now, it was time to head back home. She kicked her horse, remembering there was still some unfinished business she had with a certain half-orc.