CHAPTER 36

Loud thunder subsided just enough to reveal the wild growling of two beasts sizing each other. The panther roared feigning to lunge at the bear, in a feeble attempt to scare him off. But the bear wouldn't move. It stood its ground, looking straight at the cat. Sizing its long and sharp claws and fangs. They played to their strengths. Measuring, but above all respecting one another in some sort of a standoff. Both of them were huge, powerful, and because of that, somewhat wary. But then again, the panther was defending his territory. His home. And this unwanted guest, this intruder, was everything but welcomed.

Large cat roared again, only this time it attacked, lunging wildly on top of the bear. With its powerful claws, the panther tried to cling onto bear's exposed backside, while simultaneously trying to close his jaw, around the neck. But the bear was faster. Heavy paw caught the panther, tossing it across the cave. And in an instant, the bear charged after the cat. Before the panther even landed on the ground, Ursu was beside it, swinging from the side. He struck the cat again and again. Hitting hard, pounding the cat's body with great speed and force.

Panther roared, managing to slip underneath the grasp of the mighty bear paws. Fast as the wind, the cat turned in an instant, jumping on the bear's back. And this time he made it. Sharp, long claws pierced through the thick fur, deep into the flesh, ripping and slicing a rather large strip of blood drenched coat. The fangs closed around the undefended bear's nape, sending the waves of agonizing pain through Ursu's spine. It felt as if his back was on fire. By now, the claws left a dozen horrible gashes.

With the panther still on his back, bear turned around fast, backing towards the wall. With full force of his heavy body, bear stood up, pushing and pressing the cat against the sharp edges of the cave wall. Panther tried to free the claws from the thick bear fur, in an attempt to escape. But could not move even an inch. Strong, hind legs pushed up harder and harder, as the big cat begin to lose its breath. Survival instincts kicked in, but it was far to late. In a final twitch, trying to bite the bear, panther involuntarily stretched itself too far, buckling under pressure. Cat's torso gave in, as bear leaned and pushed even more. Ribs cracked in a dozens of sharp shards, piercing and tearing the organs. Torrent of blood gushed out of panther's mouth, as it let one final breath.

Bear shook intensely, throwing the limp cat's body in the far corner of the lair. He stood thinking of something for a couple of moments, looking outside, but eventually decided to lay down. Tired from the fight, aching for the dozen of deep wounds, Ursu soon fell asleep. Loud thunder and heavy downpour, not even for a moment interrupted his dream. And after a long chase, following the goblin, the bear deserved one.