CHAPTER 46

The mere sight of a terrifying shaman, was enough for even those hard headed, stubborn orcs to join in cheering for the new king. It wasn't long before the news spread throughout the entire fort. Feeling of disbelief was ever so present, showing even when the half-orc arrived in the royal hall. Even when he sat on the throne, wearing the crown.

Everyone was requesting the reception. They all wanted to see him with their own eyes. Grodish hated it, but was obliged to follow the procedure, per shaman's strict instructions. It was customary, and half-orc knew he had to play his part. Because at the end, the reward was more than enough reason to do everything he was expected to.

For almost a full hour, Grodish received over a thousand orcs, willing to congratulate, or wish him well. Few of them even went as far as wishing for a long reign. Some were just curious to see who this young warrior was. Who managed to triumph over their king? Was it a ruse? Was he really that powerful? Grodish knew, all of them came to decide whether he's worthy or not. Perhaps even thinking of issuing a challenge themselves. But seeing this enormous half-orc, convinced them immediately, there was no fluke in his victory.

To his right, sat Roshnak. He too was the cause of much interest. Probably even more. Shaman's legend was known to probably every living orc. Presumed to be dead for quite some time, but he was here and now, in Zhinnaeg. Truly surprising, jaw dropping event for most of them, and quite an honor. Seeing this, Grodish had a bit of a regret, not asking more about the old shaman's life. Not that he didn't. Truth was, Roshnak always avoided talking about it. He was hiding something from him, but what? And why?

Half-orc also noticed a distinct change in every single orc demeanor towards him. This was surely a shaman's doing. He wasn't expecting to be accepted this fast, if ever. Every orc he trusted, bar Roshnak, was dead. Others were chasing him away, or were simply avoiding him. They hated his mixed blood, and everything it represented. So, how could he now believe these, who were bowing before his feet. Grodish was yet to understand that by defeating the king, he had gained the respect.

It was their first rule, their code of honor. With the defeat of Broolg, half-orc not only gained his crown and throne. Not only the ruling of Zhinnaeg and its armies. He earned all of his titles, feats and accomplishments, and all of those that came before him. So will someone, someday, inherit the Grodish's, by beating him in the duel.

Broolg's name will never be mentioned again. Former king will be buried with all of the honors. His weapons will be presented on the walls of the royal hall. His legend will be written and stored in archives for all the generations to come. Orcs respected their kings equally, and because of that, Grodish could finally loosen a bit. He felt accepted. A strange feeling for him. For just a second, it turned his mind off the task, as he decided to try and enjoy this, for at least a couple of days.

Several hours later, the reception ended. Roshnak and Grodish could now head towards their chambers. Followed by a couple of half naked maids, they ventured through the long, straight corridor. Almost half of the town was dug and carved into the rocks. Grandiose undertaking, that must have lasted at least several decades. Seeing how deep underneath the mountain, the town stretched, Grodish realized why Zhinnaeg was renowned to be unconquerable.

They stopped in front of double, wooden, heavy doors, reinforced with iron spikes. Couple of large rooms, connected by small hallways, led into a commanding chamber. A place only highest ranking orcs had a privilege of entering in. They were in the exact center of the complex. Behind the large stone table, sat three older, frowned orcs. They were drinking some alcoholic beverages, and drinking a lot of it. Sudden arrival of a shaman and the new king, made the old orcs jump, as if they were caught in some wrongdoings. Grodish smiled, albeit he wasn't trying to provoke them, far from that. And by their apparently angered faces, he knew the tribal elders didn't miss his imprudence.