CHAPTER 64

Phall turned promptly towards the goblin. His face was again giving away that same deranged look, which Moorg saw when they met for the first time. Orc's entire body started to uncontrollably shake from this overwhelming excitement. He gnashed his teeth, as the yellow foam formed in the corners of his mouth. Moorg immediately understood why. Phall had chosen him. Goblin was meant to be his next sacrifice. His next victim.

Frenzied out from this thrilling prospect, Phall charged at Moorg. In another burst of rage, the orc grabbed him by the neck. He lifted the goblin with next to no effort, throwing him towards the altar. Heavy impact against the hard, stone surface, knocked the wind out of the goblin's lungs. But he wasn't staying down, jumping to his feet in an instant. Moorg looked at the orc straight in his eyes with spite, wittingly provoking a reaction out of him. He was counting the orc will take charge again at him. But this time, Moorg would be ready. He felt the ropes around his wrists loosening up.

Phall seemed overly enthusiastic, seeing the goblin's defiance. It never happened before. Sacrificial items never before showed this much courage in the face of certain demise. All of the others would by now lose their hope. All of the others would by now surrender. It will be an absolute pleasure, offering this goblin to the dark spirits of the deep. But first, he was going to teach him a lesson. A lesson in obedience and fear.

Orc suddenly lunged forward. Drawing his daggers out, he aimed at Moorg's neck. Bloodlust grew beyond bearable. Blinded by the sweet sense of thrill and arousal, Phall did not notice the moment when goblin freed his hands. Orc was quite close now. He could hear the goblin's heartbeats, thumping ever so fast. Just a couple of steps now.

Phall stopped in his tracks. Sharp pain surged through the orc's entire body, as he barely managed to stay on his feet. Stream of blood burst out of his mouth, drowning him. Phall tried to draw a breath, but something seemed to hamper him. Confused, orc still did not realize why he was feeling this pain. Until he touched the tip of a short spear, protruding out of his chest. Someone dared to attack him from behind. Phall turned around, spotting the three unknown orcs approaching fast across the field.

But there was still more than half the length of the arena between them. Phall smiled thinking of a way to exact vengeance on these insolent newcomers. But, before he could, there was still a matter of dealing with the goblin before him. In a short, violent twist, he pulled the spear out, throwing it aside with the sense of loathing. Short pain subsided, as soon as Phall touched the wound on his chest. He licked his bloodied fingers, moaning out of delight, before he charged again at the Moorg.

Goblin climbed the altar not a second before, drawing his mace. He was prepared for the attack. Despite his lanky, gangling looks, Phall was surprisingly agile, and moving quite fast. And with his long reach, he had a significant advantage over Moorg. Goblin managed to dodge several dangerous attacks. Until one shrewd, deft maneuver, forced him to reveal his entire right side. Sharp dagger plunged three times into Moorg's abdomen, before he even had time to move.

Phall grinned wildly, tasting goblin's blood, straight from the blade. It was much sweeter than that of an orc, and he liked it. Orc charged again. However, before he even made a first step, a blazing, bright red energy sphere, engulfed him whole. It lasted only a couple of seconds, before completely disappearing. It seemed for a moment, nothing had happened to Phall, as he tried to resume with his charge. But highly intense, horrific pain, momentarily stopped him.

Extreme heat spread from the insides, throughout the entire Phall's body. It felt like he's on fire. Yellow flame burst out of his chest wound, and then again. Horrified and befuddled he looked around, until his eyes met with goblin's. Barely noticeable, thin, grey smoke emitted out of his palms. Phall was furious. Goblin had tricked him, by hiding his magic.

Orc growled in anger, extending his hands forward. He whispered a couple of words. Goblin wasn't the only one wielding the magical powers. Bright, white light surged out of a small pendant on the necklace, slowly spreading through his arms. It took but a couple of seconds, until all of the energy gathered in the orc's palms. And in that exact moment, dozens of wounds appear on his body. Phall immediately understood he was too late. He was beyond salvation.

Thick, dark brown matter of his molten viscera, erupted covering his skin. Orc shriveled in pain, holding his gut. He completely forgot the energy he had gathered in his hands. It was concentrating on a single spot for far too long. Sudden, violent blast threw Phall high up into the air.

"No, no, no!" Moorg screamed in panic, once he realized orc was falling towards that deep, dark chasm.

There was nothing the goblin could do, but to watch in frustration, as Phall's limp corpse disappeared over the edge of the abyss. Moorg was certain orc carried one fragment of the amulet. By now, it was probably half way down this damned hole. Goblin had to find means of getting safely to the bottom.

"We meet again, rat!" Grodish jeered at him.

"Filthy mutt is still barking without your permission, orc." Moorg retorted with venom, looking at Roshnak "I wonder if he will ever learn his place."

"I'll rip your limbs off, you little turd!" Grodish growled.

"Calm yourself." Roshnak whispered, laying his hand on half-orc's shoulder "Don't give him the satisfaction."

He knew half-orc might lose his temper and control at any moment. Roshnak couldn't let anything happen to the goblin, at least until he doused his curiosity. Interest in Moorg, this strange little goblin, grew with every passing second. Shaman had to uncover his secrets. The energy surrounding Moorg was certainly stronger than before. So was his confidence.

"What brings you so far north?" Roshnak asked.

"Wouldn't you like to know, orc?" Moorg grinned "Wouldn't you like it for yourself? Is that it? You saw one puny goblin, and thought to yourself, you could take it."

"Take what?" Roshnak squinted his eyes "I'm only surprised, seeing a sole goblin this far from the safety of his lair."

"You can't trick me orc!" goblin yelled "I know you want it for yourself. But it doesn't belong to you, it's mine!"

"I assure you, I have no idea what..."

"You'll soon find out." Moorg wouldn't listen any more "Soon, everyone will know of Moorg!"

Before anyone could even think to move, the goblin stepped over the edge of the abyss. In just a couple of seconds, he disappeared into darkness.

"Madness!" Uggut said in shock of a sudden turn of events.

"Damn it!" Roshnak growled "Is there any other way down?"

"As far as I know just this one, that goblin decided to take." Uggut retorted "Why?"

"Bah, it doesn't matter any more. Damned rat took his secrets to the grave." Roshnak avoided the straight answer.

Perhaps once Uggut gains his trust, he will reconsider sharing everything he knows, regarding the goblin. Roshnak already had in mind to return to this place, in search of answers. He could then certainly use Uggut's help. But this wasn't time for it, they already had a task in front of them. Besides, the goblin wasn't going anywhere. He will be there, at the bottom of this hole. Waiting. Rotting. It might take him years, but Roshnak will come back.

Sudden, loud sigh, coming from the stands, made them all turn around. Murmur and stir was becoming louder with every passing second. It seemed as if the orcs were starting to wake from some sort of deep sleep. Phall's death severed the link, and the effects of the magic he must've used to hold everyone under his control.

"Uggut! Is that you?!" tubby, grayish orc pushed through, to the edge of the stands.

"Brother?! Brother!" Zhinnaeg sorcerer couldn't hide his tears "You are alive! B...but how is this even possible?"