CHAPTER 47

Eilonna was seething with rage, as she paced about her chambers. Although she wasn't saying a word, scattered and broken belongings were a good enough indicator of her anger. Councilor's room looked like a battlefield, as she wrecked anything that came under her hand. Bagtur insulted her once again, when she visited captain Lutir, trying to find out more about the venture on the goblin's town. Half-orc cussed her out of the sorcerer's house, perhaps justified. But once again, in front of the soldiers. And she had remained silent, just like before. She should've hit back, but she missed her chance. And now, everyone will laugh at her.

Suddenly, the guard tower sounded the horn, alarming the fort. Eilonna was on the window in a second. From her high tower, she could see the returning army. Far to the back, she spotted the heavy ore cart. That somewhat lifted her mood. But her joy was shortened once another cart, covered in hides and linen, went through the gates. She immediately knew what was transported in it.

"How many dead?" she yelled from the top of her tower, but then decided to rush down the steep, stone, spiral stairs.

"Thirty five." Yelamir said, after he saluted "We defeated the goblins, and took our cargo back."

"And Vallsynk?" Eilonna asked.

"They had much more losses, but with combined forces we..."

"Good." councilor interrupted paladin, deciding hastily to return back to the tower "Head to sorcerer's house Yelamir, he's expecting you there. And once in there, would you please send that half-orc to me."

"Bagtur is fine then?" paladin asked, regretting it immediately, seeing how furiously Eilonna looked at him.

He couldn't even begin to imagine what half-orc must have done now to anger the councilor this much. But, if it was similar to that stunt he did back in the Thirel fort, it was a miracle he was still alive. Then again, Eilonna's forgiveness could reach its end, after this meeting with Bagtur.

There was a dead silence in Palgrin's house, but once paladin walked in, mood drastically improved. Yelamir was Issurk's most revered healer. Hundreds of injured soldiers owed their lives to him. His knowledge in magical, healing ways greatly alleviated work of the sorcerer and other medicine men and women. Paladin was very humble in his calling. He found satisfaction in helping those in need. A rare trait, in these darkened times.

"Wonderful to see you back, and just in time." from the adjacent room, paladin heard the old sorcerer "I need help, with this rather stubborn patient."

Yelamir was genuinely surprised, seeing Thorin in bed. Next to him sat Bagtur, still wearing light, linen clothing. It was obvious, he was itching to leave this somewhat dismal place.

"What happened to Captain?" paladin asked.

"He fell off his horse." Palgrin spit in the jug beside his chair "But then denied treatment for far too long, worrying over this young lad. Because of that, I fear the worst. His leg is messed up beyond my healing sleight. Only you can help him now."

"I'll try my best. But, if it's as serious as you say, I might be forced to wait till morning." Yelamir said quietly, "I hardly meditated last night."

"Come with me laddie." sorcerer called Bagtur "Let's give the good paladin some room to do his bidding, we are nothing but a distraction."

"Councilor Falkner has summoned you to her chambers, Bagtur." paladin suddenly remembered.

"What does she want now?" half-orc snorted.

"Perhaps she wants to continue with those pleasantries you exchanged earlier." Palgrin grinned "I swear, sometimes I can't understand the young folks these days, and their strange obsession, to always be the ones knowing everything best."

"You had a fight?" Yelamir asked.

"She asked for it." Bagtur retorted "Pretending to care for Thorin. All she wanted was to ask about the damn battle with goblins."

"Councilor is in a difficult situation because of that. I'm sure she didn't mean to be disrespectful." Yelamir said "Sure, sometimes she seems that way because of her position, issuing orders, and whatnot."

"She sure isn't ordering me." Bagtur stood up, grabbing his garments "I am a soldier. I only follow the officer's commands. And councilors conveniently keep forgetting that."

"I understand that, but you need to be a bit considerate." Yelamir advised the young half-orc.

"What for? Her whining almost cost me my life. And now the captain is hurt too..."

"Calm down laddie.'' The sorcerer whispered "Explain that to Eilonna, stay on her good side. You don't need any more troubles."

Bagtur nodded, old man was right. He had to remain calm. Reasonable. If not for himself, then because of the captain, whom he wouldn't want to disappoint, or put in a difficult position. Councilor Falkner was surely still offended by his rude words, by his actions, when she was denying his escort services. But by now, Eilonna surely realized she owes him, after that encounter with the robbers. Whatever the reason, for this invite was, Bagtur hoped he'll soon put the matter behind him.

              Half-orc waved to Palgrin, exiting the house. Warm, southern wind from the lake felt quite good, after being inside that small, sterile room. But it soon passed, once he started climbing the tower, towards the councilor Falkner's private chambers. This fortress made him strangely nervous. He wished to go back home, with Thorin. To his duties. To his friends.