CHAPTER 32

Roshnak set a surprisingly high pace, as he and Grodish managed to leave a few dozen miles behind them in just a couple of hours. But it wasn't without a cost. He felt painfully tired. His old body couldn't cope with the strains of walking like it used to. Shaman knew they would need to stop sooner than later. Day was at its end. And finding a suitable, safe place to spend the night became their priority. Even more so, after the episode with the goblins. Suddenly, out of the grove from the other side of the river, a couple of strange lights shone over the bank.

"What is that?" Grodish whispered.

Orc shrugged, as he looked around, trying to find a safe passage across the water. They went upstream for a few hundred yards, coming about some sort of improvised bridge made out of fallen trees and vines. Holding to the lines, stretched parallel to the logs, they carefully walked to the other side.

"Hold right there!" a threatening voice coming from the treetops stopped them, as soon as they set foot onto the bank "State your business."

"We are just looking for a place to spend the night, and perhaps have a meal." Roshnak retorted, unsuccessfully trying to spot the hidden guard.

"In that case, welcome to Shteint." guardsmen said "Please follow my friends."

Three armed figures appeared behind the tree, showing them to move. They looked very secretive, with the hoods covering their faces. Guards escorted them, through the woods, towards the small field. They reached the clearance, where they saw high, sturdy, wooden palisades. Thick logs, pointed at the top, almost in a perfect circle surrounded this small town. Dense, lush treetop of an enormous tree, growing in the exact center of the village, was covering almost half of it.

Massive gates opened, with the rattling of the heavy chains. They were welcomed by even more masked guards. Roshnak's interest peaked, seeing so many cloaked figures. He could not tell what they were, and it bugged him. So far, there was not a single sign of scruple or hatred towards them. But still, he had a strange feeling about this.

Guards took them across the small, cobblestone paved square, in whose exact center stood a rather high obelisk, decorated in many beautiful runes. Roshnak couldn't recognize the writing, but sensed a weak tingling in his fingertips, as they passed by it. He had no time to ponder upon it, as guards showed them inside the two stories high building, made out of stone and wood.

Inside the finely lit, warm room of the main city tavern, was quite a lot of people. Loud, cheerful singing wasn't stopping for a second, as they made the occasional toast. Just a few of the tables were empty. Roshnak and Grodish sat at the one farthest from the massive, hardwood bar, overcrowded by drunkards that were yelling their orders. Cozy atmosphere was a welcoming change for the orc shaman. It might turn out, he could even like this place. But then again, even in here, everyone was wearing the hoods over their heads. Despite being welcoming, their strangely identical, secretive dress code was somewhat worrying Roshnak. What were they hiding?

"Greetings travelers." the innkeeper approached their table "Welcome to my humble establishment."

Shaman nodded, sitting with his back to the wall, so he could see the entire room.

"Perhaps I could offer you some food and drinks? I heard you want a room." the innkeeper was more than kind.

"Roast and ale." Grodish said "Room too, if it's affordable."

"Of course, gentlemen." the innkeeper headed fast back towards the bar "Be right back."

"Something is very strange with this entire place." Roshnak whispered, once they were left alone "Can't figure out, why are they all wearing the hoods?"

Grodish nodded, but the thought of the feast was the only thing he could think of right now. His empty belly was all he worried about. And once the innkeeper returned with their meals, he couldn't care less about anything else, devouring the meat like an animal. Hot, juicy roast was gone, before the innkeeper returned back to his station. Half-orc waved for some more.

Twenty minutes later, with his belly full, Grodish stretched, comfortably leaning in the chair, sipping his fourth mug of dark ale. Roshnak was still being careful, watching everything and everyone. Couple of new people arrived since they sat at the table, and they too were wearing hooded cloaks. Shaman also noticed they could all recognize each other very easily, despite concealing their faces.

"Was everything to your satisfaction?" the innkeeper asked, cleaning the table.

"Excellent!" Grodish smiled.

"If I may observe, there is an unusual dress code in your town." Roshnak said silently, nearing the innkeeper.

"Just one of the rules his highness had gifted for every one of us."

"Perhaps you could join us, and explain some of these rules." the shaman grabbed the innkeeper's arm. "We wouldn't want to do anything contrary to your laws."

"I think the first, and smartest thing would be to let my hand." innkeeper said, as the entire tavern became dead silent in an instant.

Creaking of chairs and tables against the wooden floor, made Roshnak look up. Every single person was standing, looking at them. They seemed ready to charge. Shaman let the innkeeper's arm, who took a couple of steps back.

"It is not my intention to diminish your hospitality, or cause any troubles." Roshnak said loudly "I am just interested in your ways. To be precise, those hoods you all are wearing."

"Just one of the rules, his highness gave us as..."

"You already said that!" Roshnak shouted at the innkeeper, ripping his cloak "B...but what is this?"

Roshnak stumbled backwards, in confusion. He was looking at himself. Just as a reflection, the innkeeper looked identical. He emulated shaman's every breath, blink, twitch, and expression. He was somehow perfectly mimicking everything. Grodish jumped from his seat, looking at them surprised and confused.

"What is this spell?" half-orc stammered, in the moment, when everyone else started revealing their hoods.

His surprise was even bigger, once he realized, all of them are the exact look-alikes of him and shaman.

"Roshnak? What is goi..." before Grodish could end his sentence, a couple of darts struck his neck.

In an instant he felt weak and queasy. His legs could not hold him any more, as he fell to the wooden floor. His head felt like it was going to explode. He was slowly losing his sight. Right before Grodish fell unconscious, he saw the shaman take a hit himself. Soon enough, the darkness surrounded him. Half-orc was asleep.

In the meantime, Roshnak tried to expel this strong, sleeping poison out of his body with his magical abilities. But he just couldn't manage to do that. Shaman lost his ability to speak. He stumbled to the right, taking a final look towards the innkeeper. His eyes looked like they were shining in the bright, yellow color. Couple of seconds later, Roshnak's struggle ended. With the last twitch of his hands, he fell asleep, just like his young companion.